What's new

Tailsnic Retroworks

Professional
Reaction score
Hi. I have in possesion many games of the different board revisions that exist, so I have been making tests about sound.

First of all, there are these board revisions. All of them have the same components with different encapsulation formats, but the ENSONIQ V5-V6 revisions differ:
- Orange (ENSONIQ ESPR5)
- White (ENSONIQ ESPR6)
- White old cartridge model (ENSONIQ ESPR6)
- White new cartridge model (ENSONIQ ESPR6)

ENSONIQ ESPR6 chips come with a tantalum capacitor between pins 2 and 47:

20240212_222442.png

PXL_20240212_203020439.jpg

I have been testing and gathering information, and I can say what are the correct voltages in the different ENSONIQ revisions.

In the ENSONIQ V5 revisions, you have to adjust the voltage pot to archieve 4.3V aprox. measuring the value between pins 2 and 47. Full tested on Light Bringer orange board. This game was highly problematic with superior voltage values. Other users have checked this issue also on Arabian Magic and Gunlock.

In the ENSONIQ V6 revisions, you have to adjust the voltage pot to archieve 4.6V aprox. measuring the value between pins 2 and 47. Full tested on 2 problematic games in the 12 Taito F3 white motherboard cartridges model I have:
- Darius Gaiden Extra
- Kaiser Knuckle

Also this configuration works perfectly on White normal boards like Taito Cup Finals or Top Ranking Stars.

Hi! :)
I did'nt understand everything :S

The ESP chip must be on Socket ?

So you have to unsolder it to put it on a socket ?(?(???
I have ESPR6 ENSONIQ yellow label with a tantalum capacitor between pins 2 and 47

20240327_031412.jpg

Hi! :)
I did'nt understand everything :S

The ESP chip must be on Socket ?

So you have to unsolder it to put it on a socket ?(?(???
I have ESPR6 ENSONIQ yellow label with a tantalum capacitor between pins 2 and 47

20240327_031412.jpg

Not at all. You don't have to socket anything. Only you have to measure voltage when powered up between pins 2 and 47, and with the pot near the jamma adjust it.

Your board is a White cartridge one, so has ESPR6 ENSONIQ and tantalum capacitor. It's normal

Back