What's new

mikaeltarquin

Student
Reaction score
I have had a TTX for a little while that came without a GPU, so I have never been able to test this machine. In preparation for a multi image, I made the following upgrades:
  • Replaced HDD with SSD connected via SATA
  • Replaced RAM with 2x 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz sticks
  • Replaced thermal paste under CPU heat sink
  • Recapped entire motherboard with cap kit from Console5 (there were several bulging/nearly blown caps)
I finally purchased a graphics card from another member of the forums here, hooked everything up, powered on, and...nothing. Well, the power supply and motherboard start, the fans run, a red LED by the CPU/RAM/PSU corner and another by the IO card light up. If I pull the RAM out, the motherboard beeps. So it seems like the CPU/RAM/MOBO are all functioning, at least as some level.
I am assuming the card has the Taito firmware on it, as it was sold to me as a "TTX GPU". I don't have the "JAMMA BIOS" sticker I've seen some have, but maybe they don't all have that? I am also aware that there are quirks to how video is handled on this system, so I'll explain the setups I've tested:
  1. ATI Radeon 9600SE DVI output -> DVI to DB15 (VGA) adapter -> VGA cable -> PC CRT monitor VGA input
  2. ATI Radeon 9600SE DVI output -> DVI to DB15 (VGA) adapter -> VGA cable -> Blast City tri-sync monitor set to 15kHz mode
  3. ATI Radeon 9600SE VGA output -> VGA cable -> Blast City tri-sync monitor set to 15kHz mode
  4. ATI Radeon 9600SE DVI output -> DVI to DB15 (VGA) adapter -> VGA to DVI-A cable -> PC LCD monitor DVI monitor (analog mode)
  5. Motherboard VGA output - > VGA cable -> PC CRT monitor VGA input
In all situations, I am running as simple as I can to eliminate variables. So just power into the TTX PSU, and video out to the test display (no IO/audio/etc). I get no boot/bios screen, no "video signal out of range" message, nothing. Just as though there is no video signal being sent at all.

I'm kind of at a loss. I don't have an old enough desktop around to test if the AGP card functions elsewhere. I'm not even certain that the card is the problem (though my gut says it is), and I don't want to deal with shipping/refund negotiations/feedback issues with another member if I don't have to, so I'd much rather be wrong and not understand something I'm supposed to do. The easiest troubleshooting step would be to test this card in a known working TTX, and/or test a known working graphics card in this TTX. Hopefully I can arrange that with a friend of mine across town, but is there anything else I can do on my own? Thanks!

-sFWR_7ns5I5h6s7B8EHW0fgw=w966-h1287-no?authuser=0.jpg

HNV4HQJ9U5zUeqWq_5mzLloyCxoF7AaW2p-TG4kx1QJhuBt296B0ZQHRwI58UNP0Nx3wg9ABdifMN-Wa6orwc-53Qfvb25FNhm23HxywdZ-Vl95lLnv1wT4bea7FYwcccRhavYD3Cmst3qeOKI02v53AZJ2gIBTSuuu8ucNZ-s_Dn4tq1eY4ivZ2BCTSxcfSFny8m4Y2wSknFb3BaoThiqHmp3xf0-8nHFDcG8Ca2GoFwdtCO5p5GuSvgLDJ9ddmX4k1n6eyxlKb7-FexrkylDE22cqH5WRGR35a9fHep8MQfq8ESIgxWlc8Cv7LBhqP55woei-vGxYd_a-Ps3J0ePviWAuS99dCscVcErF7wDquw8jkByRWijvq5DuPoLO9KC8fMDM1I9AeSEBrsH6oOWyGmesIGXi-j1kXq4SGzoJfmTV93sggOIllK5tMniuF22LIppmt33ocfFOZxuo1s4mxq9ysDgdHXhjb7fM7EPguekkh7dawsItyb8X8ERfah96AsuiqgVj3vWF1W_r-tqbQ7V0ouMLv0ewEGMTdVhrCTZrQayEiinphZaHHWtnXfoYaP2N72biDDPSN0U_zrZXJWV24bc6iY92NjjaBwNKlFub73znSbXwaTB6UTqR2NceRMA7qJNtzafpqrK3RmAKRpWLkNkvwPg_xi_TYp-JHNVgI_pCt64nd1urFB3LJR6wGH7lYLUBIEFUB9Ia4M37cWhW0sPfwQmtTnksOd5-8bNxuJ4X_DdbHUXpYjKQbgkg3NnWyvcC-zo3AmzaH5CNToCpzB30tFWhartmXO8TlGHB8DwJM9rPHtcM9YMleaMDhiHMcfC3I9KvbIjYW5ldpFjBUNPu0vrp54my6zA44Sa2MKSeqrsLCBWpW_TAqtB69PJuljthIfE2gzWsd8ucY5sjZlOBAThkLWwKEJLkcwg=w1235-h927-no

ZOxyq_-6vN5R42BDDqrH7Msrg=w1235-h927-no?authuser=0.jpg

I had a Type X+ recently here that would do the same thing. Ultimately, it was one of the sticks of RAM that was the issue. I would try booting your unit with one stick at a time.

If that's not it, get your friend to bring along his Type-X and swap everything.

If it's the actual motherboard that's the problem, then it can possibly be fixed by replacing the caps on it.

I had a Type X+ recently here that would do the same thing. Ultimately, it was one of the sticks of RAM that was the issue. I would try booting your unit with one stick at a time.

If that's not it, get your friend to bring along his Type-X and swap everything.

If it's the actual motherboard that's the problem, then it can possibly be fixed by replacing the caps on it.
Thanks for the suggestions! I've tried 1 stick at a time (slot furthest from the CPU). I've also recapped the entire motherboard, as the originals were bulging badly.

Which lights on the JVS IO are active? I think red is power and green is HDD activity…
Think you could also pull the AGP card and just test the onboard graphics, but I see you have a VGA cable there already..
Do you have the 4-pin CPU power cable seared correctly?
Can you also try connecting directly to the SSD - without the adapter board? Should be straight through, but one less connection…

Last edited:
Also the TTX will boot just fine with any 9600 series card… It’s just that Tetris will not boot and Raiden IV will struggle. I would hazard that any AGP card should get you a bios splash on screen at least…

Reactions: nem
Have you tried booting it without the graphics card? If you have a card installed, it will default to that. Onboard should only work without a card in.

For the record, I haven't actually tried the onboard graphics output. Maybe it's turned off completely.

On Thursday I was able to run a couple tests with a friend's TTX, but couldn't find anything definitive. My card sort of worked in his system, but threw an error after booting that may have been an indication it lacks the Taito firmware. His known good card did not work in my system, so I boxed everything up to bring home for further testing. I've been swamped with work all weekend, but hope to do some more troubleshooting soon.

I have some 9600 series cards I wanted to try bios flashing with, but failed on the only AGP compatible motherboard I could find.
May need to try again at some point, but no expert on bios fiddling I'm afraid...

Okay, big update! I found that the RAM I was using was the problem. Swapping sticks with my friend let me boot up! Only now I have a new problem, I'm greeted with this error message! Haven't run it through lens yet, but looks like a RAM (memory) error?

Edit: lens gives:
> ttxmulti.exe Application Error

> The instruction at "0x004029fa" referenced memory at "0x00000000". Memory could not be "read".

> Click OK to exit the program

Edit 2: maybe this is a multi image issue now, better suited for @rtw 's thread?
PXL_20230215_223647025.jpg

Edit 3: gotta be the image, my friend's drive works no problem. Going to try writing with DD in Linux instead of balena etcher in windows.
PXL_20230215_225617526.jpg

Edit 4: oh, I just can't read directions lmao. I wrote the drive image, but never actually populated the drive with games. Copying those over now...

Last edited:
Now I just need to hope @rtw still has that GPU bios writer so that I can flash and save the graphics card as well!

Interested in your success with that @AlxUnderBase
Were you able to flash from the TTX unit itself, or did you need a separate system?

Back