What's new
If you are going the LCD route like Jassin did maybe a Viewlix L is what you are looking for.. KC was selling them for $1600 a while back.. The thing is that for the other arcade LCD I don't think that anyone has done lag test on those.. But if you are not sensible to lag you will be fine.. You will need an OSSC or mini to get thing looking good on the LCD..

If I had to do everything all over again, I would buy the LG 65" OLED, an OSSC, a HAS v3, and a Panzer joystick and call it a day.. Prices for candy, CRT and RGB monitors are getting crazy, out of control..

If you are going the LCD route like Jassin did maybe a Viewlix L is what you are looking for.. KC was selling them for $1600 a while back.. The thing is that for the other arcade LCD I don't think that anyone has done lag test on those.. But if you are not sensible to lag you will be fine.. You will need an OSSC or mini to get thing looking good on the LCD..

If I had to do everything all over again, I would buy the LG 65" OLED, an OSSC, a HAS v3, and a Panzer joystick and call it a day.. Prices for candy, CRT and RGB monitors are getting crazy, out of control..
Never a truer statement.

just looked up what an ossc is. What is an has v3?

Home Arcade Supergun v3 - it's a device that connects arcade boards to a modern TV

crt it is then.
I could write a dissertation on the differences, and this topic comes up a lot, and lots of people have lots of strong feeling about it but in general

Positives of CRTs:
CRTs are what most of these games were designed to be played on, so they look and play best on these screens. Arcade CRTs generally look great, and they have 0 lag. These displays are designed for RGBs signals and games typicall run in progressive scan, so the picture quality is a lot more vibrant and precise than what you may remember from your old Tube TV. they're also available in large sizes in 4:3 aspect ratio.

The absolute fastest LCDs on the market have 8-16ms of lag (1/2 to 1 full frame) where most good consumer level displays have 24-32ms of lag (1.5 to 2 full frames). almost none of them are capable of displaying the low resolution content from arcade boards so you need a converter. Crappy converters add even more lag and scaling errors. If you want good conversion with scanline emulation you'll need something like the OSSC which is nearly the price of a used CRT itself. Also almost no LCDs over 19" exist in a 4:3 aspect ratio so you'll be playing 4:3 games on a 16:9 screen so 99% of it will be black barred.

Positives of LCDs:
LCDs are still made so you can buy them new and will be able to for the foreseeable future, even used arcade grade CRTs are still relatively new so they typically have some good life-span ahead of them still. In general they're not going to give you any maintenance or replacement headaches. They're a lot lighter and easier to move around. In general an LCD candy will be a lot more comfortable in terms of the amount of control panel space you get since they tend to be a bit wider and you sit a bit further away from the screen.

CRTs by comparison are all old, even the newest ones. While the picture is great, that's generally only true if it's received a "rebuild" at some point in it's life, which is something that generally should be done every 10-15 years. Parts for some monitors are impossible to source, meaning that if it fails you might not be able to fix it and have to seek out another used chassis (the monitor PCB). They're also crazy heavy and the "neck" on the back is fragile enough that you could accidentally wreck the tube if you bump into it while working on it (it happens).

----------------
Personally I'm a fan of using the most appropriate display for the particular game... if it was a CRT game I want to play it on a CRT, if it was an LCD I want to play it on an LCD. I don't mind putting in the effort to keep CRTs going.

CRTs aren't necessarily inexpensive. Most used Arcade CRTs chassis like those in Candy Cabs sell for $150-$300, can be hard to find and might still need to be rebuilt. rebuilds yourself can cost about $40 or $150-$200 if you have someone else do it. "NEW" CRTs that are still kicking around can cost up to $650. if you can manage to find one.

LCDs in general can be had for much less, but an arcade quality, low lag display, plus GOOD conversion equipment can easily run $1000-$2000

If you do want to entertain getting an LCD cab (Taito Vewlix, Sega Lindbergh, Namco Noir, or Delta 32) speak to Jassin as he's the resident LCD fanbo... I mean Expert :P

Buy IMO it basically boils down to: "low cost", authentic experience, low maintenance ... pick two

My favourite post so far, same rules apply to a car, computer or anything else really :)

Speed, price, reliability. Pick any 2.

I was hoping to avoid crt alltogether. Is that not realistic?
Then you want to talk to me. :)
If you want comparable picture quality and speed in an LCD cab you'll be joining the ranks of the $5K candy club.
Yup, if you are looking to do this for under 2k$ kiss LCD goodbye.
Here we have jassin who swears by LCD and uses that equipment to get an (admittedly very nice) picture
I love the Vewlix look and configurability, I've owned a few woodys and a Blast City in the past...
Vewlix OWNZ 'EM ALL!
speak to Jassin as he's the resident LCD fanbo... I mean Expert
I prefer to think of myself as a realist... In that CRTs are fading away.
They are requiring more work to keep alive, and once the tube burns well that's the way it's going to stay.

Sure n00bz don't want to pony up 5k$ for a setup like I've got...
But do you really think "they" have what it takes to maintain a high end (Nanao/Sanwa) arcade monitor into the future?

LCD GLORY, ZERO EMULATION!!!11 :D
NZwFnyh.jpg

M1uTL8i.jpg

xD2W67f.jpg

IlFr5me.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is how I see it... for Arcade stuff, I love the RGB monitors due to the picture quality (eye candy) but I do not get the arcade kind of feeling and ownership.. with a Cab (candy or Not) the picture quality is lacking and the sharpness and colors do not jump out but I do get the arcade felling and ownership. LCD is the worst, after I got used to RGB monitors and arcade monitors CRT, things to me just do not look right on LCD.

I got my last 3 RGB monitors due to a Tip that Twistedsymphony (I think is what you:) mentioned.. create an account of craiglist and have a search listing and send you an email.. A local video rental posted 3 monitors, 2 29" and a 26" for $300, $150 and $150.. one Mitsubishi and two NECs.. If you look at ebay those things go for over 1k.. As soon as I got the email alert from my local Craigslist.. I replied, not only once but a few times, letting them know that I wanted the monitors and... I got them:) so try that out and see if that works for you.. It might take time to get a listing but hey.. It does work:) Thanks Twisted:)

Now that my head is spinning...
It seems I have much more research ahead of me, although I am getting educated about a few things I had not considered. I am very interested in the Viewlix cabs. However these also seem difficult to come by. Are these mostly overseas? Where can I check these out?
I would like to keep my total budget around $2,500 - if that is realistic?

create an account of craiglist and have a search listing and send you an email
Indeed. Craiglist and ebay email alerts are key to knowing about the items you're looking for when the pop up. Though the most valuable tool is getting to know the other arcade collectors in your local community. A lot of times the very best deals come from a fellow collector who would rather sell you something cheap knowing it's going to a good home then hock it on CL.

Even getting to know the other arcade collectors around the world who are into the same things you're into is helpful. My most prized machines and other (non-arcade) items I got because I got a tip from another enthusiast who knew I was hunting for that particular thing. Most of my nearly impossible to find Virtual On equipment I have because I met a couple of other VO fans who will tip me off about finds that they're not interested in, or give me first dibs before they list it publicly if there is something they're looking to sell. Of course it's nice if you do the same in-kind for others. I know there are a number of people I've sent tips to when I come across an item I know they're looking for.

Ah. I wonder if he'd be willing to sell Cyber Lead parts separately, I'd really love to see if he'd part with the I/O and maybe an amp board
those IO boards have been LOOOOONG gone, dude.
Damn. I've been trying to find a spare and also trying to find the other 2 I don't have just to study the differences between them and mine.

If I didn't own one and hadn't seen others in the flesh I'd be putting it in the same vein as a dedicated Polybius

create an account of craiglist and have a search listing and send you an email
Indeed. Craiglist and ebay email alerts are key to knowing about the items you're looking for when the pop up. Though the most valuable tool is getting to know the other arcade collectors in your local community. A lot of times the very best deals come from a fellow collector who would rather sell you something cheap knowing it's going to a good home then hock it on CL.
Even getting to know the other arcade collectors around the world who are into the same things you're into is helpful. My most prized machines and other (non-arcade) items I got because I got a tip from another enthusiast who knew I was hunting for that particular thing. Most of my nearly impossible to find Virtual On equipment I have because I met a couple of other VO fans who will tip me off about finds that they're not interested in, or give me first dibs before they list it publicly if there is something they're looking to sell. Of course it's nice if you do the same in-kind for others. I know there are a number of people I've sent tips to when I come across an item I know they're looking for.
The most friendly people that I have met are here and at the SHMUPS.. When I lived in FL, tampa bay area, a person named Mick ran the local arcade stuff and it was a strong community. He would help without asking for anything in return, very cool person... In my area, WASHDC, it is a completely different environment. I do help when I can.. When I see something that a member here or at the SHMUPS is looking for.. I let them know and help where I can:).. I love the Arcade-Projects and I love the SHMUPS..

I am very interested in the Viewlix cabs. However these also seem difficult to come by. Are these mostly overseas? Where can I check these out?
Most candy cabs were only ever officially distributed in Japan. There are a few exceptions like the Sega Bass fishing and Virtua Tennis Cabs I mentioned earlier. But for the most part any of these cabs you find in the USA, someone imported it from Japan. This is why they're difficult to find and expensive; these cabs are much less expensive in Japan, but the cost of shipping them over here increases the price dramatically.

If you have any Round 1 locations near you, they have a lot of Japanese specific arcade machines and usually have a small collection of Taito Vewlix, Sega Lindbergh and Namco Noir cabs. http://www.round1usa.com/location/

If you have the chance to stop by one it's a great opportunity to check out these cabs first hand to see if you like them.

As for checking out older CRT Candy cabs, there are a handful of locally owned arcades throughout the USA where you might find one, but other than that your best bet is finding a collector local to you who owns one.

Personally the first Candy I ever got the opportunity to play was one that I bought and had shipped to me... they're pretty rare in the north east.

Rare indeed. So I am also seriously considering the suggestion abut using a Supergun, at least for now.
I looked into that idea last night so I now need to find a forum for that topic. Seems like I can get up and running faster with that setup.

Super Guns are a good option if you just want to play the boards and don't want an actual cab. Though if you're playing on an LCD you're still going to need something like an OSSC to convert the RGB video signal.

yes, more useful advice. I will check that out as well and bounce some ideas off the forum for further suggestions before making any purchases.

Back