What's new
Probably a dumb question since @advans14 isn't remotely new to the hobby, but does the multi draw more current than a standard rom board? Have you tested voltages at a rom on the multi to see if maybe it's underpowered?

It most certainly draws with all those fat roms and the altera chip. My base voltage is fine though. I can check the roms tomorrow, seems unlikely based on what i know.

I had a hair up my ass to try reburning the the roms to jp set to see if the issue was the same with the addressing, but also seems like a waste of time.

I had a lot of problems with my multi as well. Ultimately I just sent my mobo out to irepairsega and it turned out to have some issues that just weren't a problem for the original game (E-Swat). I really wish I had written down all the things that were repaired. IIRC at least one of the address lines on a bus (I know, helpful) was bad.

I think there's definitely a handful of different buckets you can put problems into:
Bad rom burns
Bad connection between roms and multi
Bad connection between multi and mobo
Mobo faults

It's easy to want to point at faults on the multi. (I paid $x, this shit doesn't work, I wasted x hours burning and this shit still doesn't work, all these goofs in the thread saying it works fine for them, etc.) I know I did. But even though the original game works, you cant rule out a mobo fault, especially without any really useful software test available.

For reference, before getting my mobo repaired, E-Swat on my multi showed errors that the original E-Swat rom board did not.

I had a lot of problems with my multi as well. Ultimately I just sent my mobo out to irepairsega and it turned out to have some issues that just weren't a problem for the original game (E-Swat). I really wish I had written down all the things that were repaired. IIRC at least one of the address lines on a bus (I know, helpful) was bad.

I think there's definitely a handful of different buckets you can put problems into:
Bad rom burns
Bad connection between roms and multi
Bad connection between multi and mobo
Mobo faults

It's easy to want to point at faults on the multi. (I paid $x, this shit doesn't work, I wasted x hours burning and this shit still doesn't work, all these goofs in the thread saying it works fine for them, etc.) I know I did. But even though the original game works, you cant rule out a mobo fault, especially without any really useful software test available.

For reference, before getting my mobo repaired, E-Swat on my multi showed errors that the original E-Swat rom board did not.
yeah i get it. like i said, original e-swat cart works with no errors. original altered beast cart works with no errors. the actual games that dont work on the multi, i can get into test mode report no errors. not like the in game tests are comprehensive. another fun thing is all the sounds work for each game in test as well. something is prevented those specific games from booting into game mode.

i also had two of these system 16 kits and the one that was apart of a crappier motherboard i sold, prior to selling i did try it on this motherboard and all games in question worked fine. the roms have been verified several times. i just verified and reseated everything. same issue. voltage is at 5.02 across every chip on the board.

it would be good if we had a map of what games are on what roms. i know the program roms are 1-3. i'm leaning on returning this kit, but its frustrating as i really wanted to play shinobi and golden axe!

Last edited:
i also had two of these system 16 kits and the one that was apart of a crappier motherboard i sold, prior to selling i did try it on this motherboard and all games in question worked fine. the roms have been verified several times. i just verified and reseated everything. same issue. voltage is at 5.02 across every chip on the board.

If your Multi worked fine with the other crappier System 16 mainboard but then the problem is definitely with your current mainboard - no need to verify ROMs, reseat things or mess with voltages. I suggest buying another System 16 to use as a Multi donor and sell your current one for parts / repair.

If your Multi worked fine with the other crappier System 16 mainboard but then the problem is definitely with your current mainboard - no need to verify ROMs, reseat things or mess with voltages. I suggest buying another System 16 to use as a Multi donor and sell your current one for parts / repair.

i guess i didnt write it clear enough. i had two sys16 multi kits and at the time two mainboards. i could only ever get one of the kits working, and the one that did worked on both mainboards (yes this one). i sold the complete working set and kept the nicer mainboard (this one) and the kit that didnt work for my personal collection. i have since been trying to get the remaining games working on it with what has been done so far.

i can't say i agree that the mainboard is broken, if it works with a real altered beast rom cart, yet altered beast on the multi has a black screen. thus, troubleshooting roms, voltages etc is the proper way to start. As far as shinobi and golden axe - From a multi support perspective it would be nice to know what components if anything are used differently on these specific titles vs the rest, to help troubleshoot if anything wrong with said mainboard or the kit.

You can always send your motherboard and multi to me and I can try to work it out for you.

Can you post pics of everything installed so we can get a look at everything. Maybe get some ideas.

yup
IMG_6319.jpg

The circuit areas are shared for all games, the memory space is what determines which game is running

What are your voltages?

They are good. 5.08 at the chip level. Its not a voltage issue, cab issue or power supply issue.

If you send your pcb to me I can probably figure it out by comparing our two setups and swapping things around.

Hi.

On a Sega System 16b board, is the following a suitable replacement for the FD1094:
1692465587222.png

If not, is there something (or somethings) I am not taking into account that I should be?

Thank you.

Hi,

I recently started to program and populate the multi on my side that I bought quite some time ago and that was sitting on a shelf since then.
The process was pretty straightforward, however I have some games that do not launch while all the other ones launch and play totally fine:

Aurail (Does not launch)
Bay Route (Does not launch)
Cotton (Does not launch)
Dynamite Dux (Does not launch)
E-Swat (Does not launch)
Golden Axe (Does not launch)
M.V.P (I Hear sound at the startup, but does not launch, then no sound)
Wrestle War (White screen with some square Garbage at startup)

I already verified every programmed roms, one that came with the multi was faulty and I had to replace it, it was impossible to program it.

I suppose the games, for the program roms, are compacted on some ICs, that's why I have most games perfectly working and some others that seems to be consecutive in the dip orders that do not. most likely one or two faulty ICs, but I do not know which ones.
I would like to know, from the designers of this multi, based on the list of games here listed, which IC(s) here would be the suspect one(s) so I can buy 27c322 to replace what looks like faulty one(s) even though my programmer says that verify check is successful.

I used the japanese rom set.

Thanks in advance!

Which version of the multi is it? V1.5?

I do not know which version this multi is.
Here is a picture of it.

IMG_E3358.JPG

That's a v1 multi. That design had a flaw where a trace somewhere between rom 1 and 3 would break. All address lines between rom 1, 2, and 3 should connect. ( the same pin on each rom should connect with continuity.)

The v1.5 design does not have this issue.

I'll check continuity between 1, 2, and 3.
However, you did not answer my question to know specifically where the games I listed are exactly stored, just in case continuity shows no issues on my side and this is a problem of just a deffective 27c322.

Back