What's new

XtraSmiley

Legendary
Reaction score
So I took a gamble on an untested really clean 2 slot MVS board. Other than a pile of dust on top, which prevented me from really noticing the traces from the photos I had, I took a shot at purchasing.

From the photos the battery didn’t look like it was leaking too bad but of course once I get it, the damage is clearly there. Before I removed the battery the game booted to the RTC green screen but keeps resetting. After I remove the battery and rub some alcohol to clear off the dust, here is what I’m seeing.

Not being an expert, but I think several traces are completely eaten up around the battery. Is this bad boy worth a repair?

Attachments

• IMG_5346.jpeg
    IMG_5346.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5347.jpeg
    IMG_5347.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5348.jpeg
    IMG_5348.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 144
Damn, I figured, with so much damage, but since it still turned on, I had hope.

I did send apocalypse a Crystal system in far worse shape that he brought back to life though, so I know it can be done, but probably not worth the effort for this board.

Did some vinegar clean up (do I need to do anything after cleaning with vinegar?) to get some cleaner pics. Looks like traces in a few spots are totally gone, like the area in the upper right of the 43256.

Attachments

• IMG_5353.jpeg
    IMG_5353.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5352.jpeg
    IMG_5352.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5350.jpeg
    IMG_5350.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5354.jpeg
    IMG_5354.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 75
Is it worth repairing? Absolutely not - there is probably at least 5 hours work in there for a really top-class solder iron slinger (which I am not). cheaper, and quicker to buy a new one.

Is it fun to repair it? Absolutely yes - amazing opportunity to develop worthwhile skills on a well known and well documented board. The damage is extensive but localised. Working on this is an amazing way to get valuable practise.

You'll probably need a microscope and a good quality temperature controlled station - so having access to the gear will be the key decision point.

Like @hatmoose said, you will spend some time with it but that actually does not look that bad IMO. All you need is multimeter to see which of those traces are broken.

Only if the corrosion is under those surface mounted chips, then it becomes pain in the ass to remove them etc.

I have had similar cases and here is a one example (multiple pictures when you swipe):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CR8Ku0eDO-Y

Steps to do:
  1. Clean the board with IPA
  2. Apply vinegar to kill the acid
  3. Clean the Vinegar with IPA
  4. Test those traces and VIAs with multimeter
  5. Get fiberglass pen and clean that melted coating off of the damaged traces
  6. Fix (re-connect) broken traces and VIAs
  7. If you want, add fresh layer of lacquer over the exposed traces
I disagree with the microscope since you can just test with continuity on cheap multimeter. Ofc there is always a risk that you missed some spot and in time it will become another problem. Lets says that I would not feel comfortable to sell it as a "working unit" after that much of a acid damage since it can still be inside of the layers of the PCB, but for my own use I would definitely fix it and run it as long as it lasts!

Last edited:
I would definitely need my microscope for this ;)
I think it can be done slow and steady and some of the surface mount stuff may have to come off.

Back