What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
on another PC, the one where you burned the image maybe?

You'll need to clear the attract.am file, that holds the last run game
So clearing the attract.am file did nothing for me other than Attract mode boting into another game and won't letting me exit it...
At the end what solved the issue was actually looking in the attract.CFG file and under "general\startup_mode" I entered "show_last_selection"
as this was set to "launch_last_game" before..

However I don't understand how this could have happened. Does it mean you can never shut down Attract Mode by "Power Off System" in UTILS because it will cause the loop?

The explorer thing is kind of expected - in normal operation you won't be using Explorer from the system menu, when you launch explorer, windows is seeing that as launching the explorer shell which explains your start menu and task bar.
Ok, and how to return this without having the Logon Screen back?

So clearing the attract.am file did nothing for me other than Attract mode boting into another game and won't letting me exit it...
At the end what solved the issue was actually looking in the attract.CFG file and under "general\startup_mode" I entered "show_last_selection"
as this was set to "launch_last_game" before..

However I don't understand how this could have happened. Does it mean you can never shut down Attract Mode by "Power Off System" in UTILS because it will cause the loop?

Ok, and how to return this without having the Logon Screen back?
Well you hit the nail on the head earlier, that is seen as a game by Attract Mode so you need to use another method for launching a game automatically or shutting down the system. I've used the Utility Menu plugin for Attract Mode before which probably wouldn't have the same issue. It's quite cool because you can run anything as a script so it's pretty versatile. Actually, doesn't Attract Mode have an option to shut down the system on exit? you could use the standard tab menu exit command in AM.

In terms of the explorer issue - why are you going into explorer every time? it's only there for making changes right? if you don't launch that explorer link from Attract Mode you won't see a start menu, task bar and icons. It's just how Windows works, not sure if you can change it but it shouldn't be an issue in regular use.

why are you going into explorer every time?

I am not. The screen below is popping up after I launched a game from attract mode, as well as when closing a game.
It didn't do that before.

1648656029811.png

Is capcom vs snk 2 only on the naomi, it's the only 2 not working on mine now but can't seem to find them anywhere.

Is capcom vs snk 2 only on the naomi, it's the only 2 not working on mine now but can't seem to find them anywhere.
It should be in the naomi games folder. What is wrong with it? Should be on the stock v4 already.

It should be in the naomi games folder. What is wrong with it? Should be on the stock v4 already.
No I’ve got Capcom vs sink millennium fight 2000 and pro, but Capcom vs sink 2 mark of the millennium 2001 are on wheel but missing from games roms.

I am not. The screen below is popping up after I launched a game from attract mode, as well as when closing a game.
It didn't do that before.

1648656029811.png
Try changing your shell app, go into the registry and modify this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Winlogon\Shell

Change it to e:\system\am\multi.exe and reboot

From memory that also disables the boot video

Last edited:
i've managed to get cvsnk2 mark to run by merging a couple of different zips together, but no controls work, only on the keyboard, so must be something still missing.

Does anyone have an idea on how the original ARTAX TTX3 v4 Windows 10 image was created with the desktop disabled, no Start menu, Windows Store apps removed etc?
Is see it's using Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC

This is what happens when you shell windows using another program other than explorer, you just get a blank screen as your desktop.

It's just shelling an application other than explorer, windows apps are removed via a powershell script, pretty standard stuff if you know a bit about Windows

So, I've just found it's actually pretty easy to do

You just have to run regedit, and change the Shell value at Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\

They've got it set to C:\multiboot.exe, but if you set it back to explorer.exe, it turns back into a regular Windows 10 environment (after running explorer from the task manager or simply logging in again) (and the keyboard volume control starts working again)

So it seems it's not all that difficult to start from scratch if we wanted. Would like to know how to get keyboard volume control working while not using explorer as the shell though. A compromise might be to:

* set explorer as the shell
* hide all desktop icons
* autohide the task bar
* autorun C:\multiboot.exe on login (if you want to play the video, or autorun E:\SYSTEM\AM\multi.exe to skip it...)

Lots to try out...

Last edited:
Try changing your shell app, go into the registry and modify this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Winlogon\Shell

Change it to e:\system\am\multi.exe and reboot

From memory that also disables the boot video

So I did that and only have a Black Screen and can't do anything again...
@chunksin: Is it me or are you trolling me ?:unsure:

So I did that and only have a Black Screen and can't do anything again...
@chunksin: Is it me or are you trolling me ?:unsure:
He's not trolling. Just did it and it works fine

You set it to:

e:\system\am\multi.exe

and not

e:\system\am\multi.exe and reboot

yeah ;)

Anyway, ctrl-alt-del to run task manager and then select file-->Run new task and type in regedit

Then you can change it

Anyway, ctrl-alt-del to run task manager and then select file-->Run new task and type in regedit
Thank you! I did not know this step. Seems I am really not familiar with Windows to be messing with this...
@chunksin: Thank you for your support and no offense in anyway by me accusing you of trolling ;) (well I didn't really do that)

So I reversed everything back to how it was and reversing this step was crutial:
Control Panel - Programs and Features - Turn Windows Features on or off
Add all options in Device Lockdown section and apply
Now the Taskbar and Startmenu is hidden again and also doesn't show up during game launch anymore.
Which I don't understand because the opposite should be the case but anyways i don't want to spam this thread due to my lack of Windows knowledge...

With a little bit of effort, I was able to change the shell to explorer.exe, load a special program to hide the task bar (http://www.itsamples.com/taskbar-hider.html) (as standard Windows autohide option wasn't good enough because it kept showing briefly every time a game was loaded), hide all desktop icons so the screen is 100% black and then autorun the multi at boot (timeout set to 0 secs in the registry, as it was taking 10 secs before loading by default)

So, why would I bother as it looks/works exactly like before?

Because now
1. The volume controls work <-- reason for attempting
2. I can show the taskbar with ctrl-shift-a (default option in http://www.itsamples.com/taskbar-hider.html)
3. Windows key brings up start menu

Not too useful for many on cabs with volume knobs, but as one of my testing devices is a laptop, it will come in handy...

Thank you! I did not know this step. Seems I am really not familiar with Windows to be messing with this...
@chunksin: Thank you for your support and no offense in anyway by me accusing you of trolling ;) (well I didn't really do that)

So I reversed everything back to how it was and reversing this step was crutial:

Now the Taskbar and Startmenu is hidden again and also doesn't show up during game launch anymore.
Which I don't understand because the opposite should be the case but anyways i don't want to spam this thread due to my lack of Windows knowledge...

It's cool, sorry this didn't work out quite as you expected but if you add the features and make the registry change as described it works, that's what I did on mine, it's easy to script the changes so maybe I'll do that and post back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back