What's new

AxelK

Beginner
Reaction score
Anyone know if it's possible to upgrade an EX2 board to the Plus version by replacing the eproms? Similar to the Champion -> Hyper upgrade on CPS1, or even a more complete conversion like a CPS2 "bootleg". Thanks in advance for any info!

You can't. I was intended to try months ago, as i have the same version and i do want the Plus version for Vulcano Rosso but it can't be done.
Problem is that the rom board is populated by 8MB x8bit proms (42PINS) and the highest erasable eprom you can get is an 27c322 wich is 4MB x 8bit.
Those 8MB proms were build like that from manufactoring, there are no replaces for it.

If you have the skills you can use a 74LS139 2to4line decoder and divide proms into 2x 4MB giving the highest adress for the bank selection, result will be confusing and board populated with wires/stacking/more expensive than buy one. I don't even know if the proms are mask compatible. As soon as i saw the 8MB proms i just give up finding an alternative

Thanks for the info, pretty disappointing. That explains why a plus board is twice as expensive when they come up for sale, gonna have to keep my eye out for a good deal on one... anyone have experience with the PS1 port of the game? How close to arcade perfect is it?

I would imagine the port would be perfect outside of loading, since EX uses the Playstation arcade board. I can't say for sure as I've never played the original at arcades though. I did notice slowdown, but that could have been in the game.

Well, not the shitty 50htz PAL version, that is 100% sure. I have played it but i think is missing some frames here and there.

I forgot to mention that you could still have a chance in order to make it, it's all about TSOP to DIP adapters.
PA0097_0.JPG

you can eventually use some TSOP48/56 like 29LV64, the 64Mbit version (8Mb x 8bit) but you will have to:
-Knock down power since proms are 5V and tsop are3/3.3V (a 47K resistor will do the job)
-Figure out all of the Adress/data, CE/OE, VPP VCC and so on..
-Find the right board (there are TONS of them) or the less modifiable one
-Have good solder skills with tsop and good tools for it

I think this could be a most friendly solution but will take you many hours to do

I have a boot SFEX Plus that has custom flash modules in place of the eproms.

It's in storage with most of my other PCBs in NC. I haven't been able to go home since December. :(

Back