What's new

xRealNinjuzx

Student
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm kind of at a loss. I hooked up a gonbes 8220 to my vewlix clone and was playing Mr Driller, everything worked no problem. Turned everything off, unplugged the board and plugged in the new Battletoads board I bought and No Signal. Tried auto adjusting, nothing. Hit it with my multi to make sure everything was getting correct power and it looks all good. I feel like there is no way its a problem with the board because every last inch of it looks fucking perfect, but I don't know what else to check.

Suggestions?

Battle Toads might just be one of thos games that the GBS can't scale.
Don't' be shocked new comer, even the mighty OSSC has some issues with some boards.

The fact of the matter remains, you are trying to convert a board to work on a display it was never designed to use.
You are going to have issues, no way around that.

Also you should be aware that even when the GBS "works" it's still a steaming pile of dog shit.
Get a xRGB mini Framemeister or a OSSC + DVDO, not only is the compatibility better, but so is the scaling.

Agreed, the Gonbes 8220 was my first RGB converter and it is just a horrible little scaler even after doing loads of mods to it. I did once believe it was nice, but that was before seeing proper scalers in action and moving back to CRTs/PVMs.

I know they aren't ideal, but I buy them in bulk for commercial use. The alternatives are too expensive to make sense. I was hoping i'd be able to make it work, but I guess its just gotta go back. Lame

The game/board has to go back? Cuz it just so happens I'm looking for a Battletoads (Dataeast)...
PM me if you want to sell. ;)

Sorry Bruddah. I hit up Mitsu and Derick2k as soon as I had an issue and Derick is taking it off my hands in trade. Sorry about that man :(

It's all good, back when I was using the Taito scaler exclusively I also had a few boards that wouldn't work.

Super Buster Bros.
Mortal Kombat II
The Avengers

I started selling them off in disappointment, only then I got a OSSC...
Yup you guessed it, boards work with OSSC. So I had to buy back MK2 and Avengers (thankfully SBB didn't sell).

Lost a small amount of cash in the process...
Sold my MK2 for 180$, then spent 250$ getting it back, got my Avengers for 30$ gave it away and had to buy another for 150$.

Now I'm thinking it's better to hold on to the boards you really like no matter what, times they are a changin. ;)

Back