What's new
Well, good news my fellow friends! I was able to repair the broken RAM card today as the new replacement DRAM chips came. They were quite expensive ($12 a piece) but with some good liquid flux and a steady hand, it’s repaired! If anyone is curious, I did remove some ram chips off a couple of dead Namco 246 P Mother boards and they didn’t work, I’m not sure if they were also dead or my hot air station somewhat damaged them or caused micro cracks. I suspect that dying ram might be an issue with these systems in the near future. One of the symptoms of dead ram(s) on these systems is the attract demo mode locking up. The intros will always play unless they are using in game graphics. The buffer ram is the exact same except that it won’t boot anything up at all. Seems to be an issue with the system 246 driving and A pcbs though. I’ll post pics of the system working and of my hideous solder work lol! I also got something awesome but I haven’t gotten it to work yet unfortunately.
This is so cool - I need a 246 racing setup now... :)

I checked it with bloody roar 3 (with the multi) as I put away the rest of my games into storage at the moment. BR3 has a RAM check and I was able to see which pcb was bad.
As for fixing it, I do have a hot air station and a coupe of 246 B motherboards I can pull the RAM off of. Hopefully I can pull it off and fix it myself. If not, hopefully someone can help me out?

Hey @Franco23444 - how do I access the RAM check in BR3? I looked around in the test menu, but couldn't find it!

Matt

Hey @Franco23444 - how do I access the RAM check in BR3? I looked around in the test menu, but couldn't find it!

Matt
The RAM test always shows up when the game is booting, it’s not a test menu option but it does make for excellent memory troubleshooting. I believe BR3 is the only game with the RAM test but I don’t remember if TC3 also had it at boot up 🤔

Reactions: nem
interesting - I have booted BR3, I don't know, about 20 times the past couple of weeks while doing testing - the only thing I see is the "setup RAM" part - is that the memory test you are referring to?

Matt

interesting - I have booted BR3, I don't know, about 20 times the past couple of weeks while doing testing - the only thing I see is the "setup RAM" part - is that the memory test you are referring to?

Matt
Yes :)

OOOHHH - I thought that was just loading the cdrom into RAM - I didn't actually think it was a memory test.... well, that is cool :)

Back