What's new

XtraSmiley

Legendary
Reaction score
OK, I have a friend who owns two machines and nothing about electronics, but his two machines are both dead and he needs help. I'm going to go to his house, but since he's an hour away I want to arm myself with as much as I can before I go so I can try to fix on the spot. Both errors seem to be PC based and I'm hoping basically his CMOS battery is dead and with a new battery and keyboard I can just bypass/fix this. So, questions:

1. If it's just a dead CMOS battery, what size/type do these take? It will save me much time if I go there with it before hand.
2. Are these machines USB keyboards or the old style? (if I'll need to bypass the BIOS, set date/time, etc).
3. Is there some suicide code that is now dead that may need something other than a battery? I'm looking at you MegaTouch?
4. Does this look like something else I need to deal with?
5. Are these boards hard to get to for the battery update? IE, security Torx containers inside, etc.

Thanks team!

Error messages

Attachments

• MT2.png
    MT2.png
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 51
  • TD1.png
    TD1.png
    286.1 KB · Views: 49
  • TD2.png
    TD2.png
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 48
Drift: ps2 type.
If you press f1 and the game goes, you’re lucky it’s an easy fix: puta new battery and set all options to NOT halt on error will be all that’s needed.

If not… you need the restore cds… and prey it’s the original hardware cause when it is not, you’ve got to run some command to remove the “read only” mode of the Os… it’s a real pain.

Drift: ps2 type.
If you press f1 and the game goes, you’re lucky it’s an easy fix: puta new battery and set all options to NOT halt on error will be all that’s needed.

If not… you need the restore cds… and prey it’s the original hardware cause when it is not, you’ve got to run some command to remove the “read only” mode of the Os… it’s a real pain.
Thanks man, looking at his picture, I'm a little worried now b/c it doesn't say the battery is dead, just low volatage.

If the hard drive failed, what's the option for him? Do I really need restore CDs or is there a flash option like Killer Instinct?

I just bought a Tokyo Drift last week. The owner had had it for 5 years and never gotten it running. I got it running today :) It's a terrible game, lol.

Anyway, with any luck you'll just pop in a new battery and have it working.

If it blue screens, go into BIOS and double check that SATA configuration is set to IDE. USB keyboards work just fine.

If you do have to reinstall, make absolutely sure you're using the correct restore discs that match your dongle:

If you have a TDUpgrade USB security dongle, you need to use the 'u' discs (I believe 1.27u is the latest).

If you have a TDKit USB security dongle, you need to use the 'k' discs (1.26k is the latest).

If you have a parallel port dongle, you need to use the regular restore discs (3.04 is the latest).

I have 1.26k and 1.27u restore discs I can image and upload if needed.

I haven't run in to this issue, but if it's what I think it is, you need look up how to commit changes with the Enhanced Write Filter. Google 'ewfmgr.exe'.

Do I really need restore CDs or is there a flash option like Killer Instinct?

Yes, you need to use the restore CDs. There's quite a few different hardware configurations for this game.

Last edited:
If the hard drive failed, what's the option for him? Do I really need restore CDs or is there a flash option like Killer Instinct?
Flash you mean to replace an SS hard drive with an SSD? if you're again lucky there will be SATA ports and you can use a cheap SSD.
I had real fun with a Raw Thrills "super bike" replacing a motherboard, sound card and video card... again, don't touch it if you don't have too!

...oh and I did fix a Tokyo Drift as well ... ask your friend if he has the restore CDs? else I do ;)

I think he means that you can't just flash a ready image straight on to a drive.

I couldn't get SATA drives to work with the Microtel hardware. OptiPlex is fine for that though. I have the game running now on a $15 SATA SSD.

Back