What's new

Mikanbox

Student
Reaction score
Getting a little bored, So time to do what I Normally do when I'm bored....
Design and Build an arcade cabinet 8)

I got a random 19in (18?) dell Crt monitor laying around, Pile of left over wood from last project, a Jamma harness and jvs harness(for sega jvs) laying around.
What I'll Run in it: most likely Naomi

Atm Two candy cabinets that Really caught my eye are the Sega Aero City and the Neo candy 19.
So I was prob thinking It'll sorta look like a Shrunk down Aero City with slight design cues stolen from Neo candy 19.

Current planned features:
Easy to Tate monitor.
Replaceable Control panel.
Control panel area can lift up for quick button/joystick servicing and Access to piForce
25cent coinmech + box
Speakers
Enough space to Fit a Whole Naomi Setup inside
Sitdown
Made of wood(mostly)

I'll Prob Post up a guide + cut templates if anyone else wants to replicate/make their own.

Any Ideas for Features It should have?
(I might be forgetting something important. I Don't own a real Candy cab (yet))

Hmm does any1 know the screen tilt angle on either an Aero City or Neo 19?
Gonna start on cad drawings tomorrow, so it'd be nice info to have...

edit*
And height of controller off the ground.
(from ground to Base of joystick/Buttons)

Last edited:
Here's the concept art I'll try to base my cad drawing on.

1st few pages (random measurements / notes)
ITjKIIG.png

ZApg7RV.png

Zt3oFJH.png

iPx4OPY.png

P2UB995.png

getting a bit close to being done with the design phase. need a few more days to finish the cad design.....
My scrapped my 1st design due to The Aero Speaker housing design not looking as nice as I hoped(And I wanted to redo some stuff to get whole numbers)
ohMXzxx.png

So Far I reworked the main body, But Still gotta come up with a nice looking marquee/speaker assembly.
Prob gonna make it look like the upper assembly on the neo candies
Got a lot of work left to do..... Hopefully I get enough spare time.

SgWOL3x.png

Made it a bit shorter, added some probable supports, added more angles. blah blah blah
(still not done)

Having issues Deciding weather to have a top Speaker/marquee box or to somehow intergrate the speaker system into the main cabinet...
Anyone have any suggestion?
http://imgur.com/a/sA5pC

pO0CDPv.png

25yhN3Y.png

oh yeah the other issues.....

Was debating between :
Ls-56 or Ls-32 joysticks?
Ls-56 is smaller and would make it easier to shove two player set up onto the Already pretty small cpo plate (about 150mm x 470mm)
LS-32 is more traditional

Happ/IL buttons or Sanwa/Seimitsu/hori buttons.
Happ/IL have a smaller diameter making it easier do the 2player set up with the tiny cpo plate.
Japanese style buttons when paired with the LS-32 would allow for me to do the very sega: Pink and Green buttons/joystick setup

Vertical PCB mounted Tray. (slides out)
or
Horizontal Pcb Mounting tray. (slides out)

The neo candy 19 was originally a horizontal mounting (looks like shelves)
But A vertical mount would allow for a larger pcb if needed....

Anyone got any opinions/ideas?
(random note: I'm prob gonna try to do 12 button (6 per player) setup)

Depending on what type of games you prefer, I would say this:
- LS56 for shmups
- LS32 for all round
- Sanwa JLF for fighters

Buttons I prefer Sanwa, no experience with the Hori Hayabusa stuff though...

hmm i Might go for lS56+sanwa for the buttons (thx for the suggestion!)

also got the slide mechanism designed.
kqbWZk0.png

whoops completely forgot to ask but....
Anyone know of place that sells LS-56 Dustplates that work with the Shaft cover off?
(the default dustplate has a hole large enough to accommodate the shaft cover, so removing the dust cover makes it look unsightly :C )

Speakers? These are normally the hardest things to place personally. If they are too close the the tube then you have serious issues with monitor coloring. Hmmmm... have you explored some ideas of how to lower the magnetic fields produced by the speakers? I heard of using metal shielding. I guess you could always mount above the marquee, kind of like the BIG blue. Maybe have them point back downwards towards the player. Just a thought. Good luck.

Edit:
New thread made, uhh ignore/archive/delete/lock this thread if necessary
Wooden City Candy Cabinet Build

Later today I'll Prob Make a Post in the Project showcase As I Start to actually make the unit.
(its sunny today!)

But yeah... no really fancy solution for speaker-monitor discoloration, I just Keep on increasing the distance between the two until the discoloration stops xD

a Mild-steel plate should help in this case, But from what I've seen so far, Distance is the best solution. (else shielded speakers)

Last edited:
whoops completely forgot to ask but....
Anyone know of place that sells LS-56 Dustplates that work with the Shaft cover off?
(the default dustplate has a hole large enough to accommodate the shaft cover, so removing the dust cover makes it look unsightly :C )
The dust washer from a Sanwa JLF stick is the perfect size.

Back