What's new

Auber1083

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Someone gave me a X-Men vs Street Fighter (USA) but the game have some graphic issues.
You can see them on the pictures.
The game was phoenixed I put it back in regular protected version with an infinikey just in case the phoenix wasn't done correctly. But no chance the problems are still here.
I tried to exchange some of the pal with some other one but nothing changed.
If someone have any idea all the help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20220904_210049.jpg
    IMG_20220904_210049.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20220904_210102.jpg
    IMG_20220904_210102.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20220904_210124.jpg
    IMG_20220904_210124.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20220904_210132.jpg
    IMG_20220904_210132.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
This usually happens to my CPS2 boards when they aren't fully sandwiched together. On my Alpha 2, I even had to take the shell off or it doesn't all the way connect to the A board.

While the game is on, if I push down on the corners of it, those lines can go away lol.

Your prob could be totally unrelated! But that's something I've seen at least

I wonder if it's one of the graphics roms going iffy on you as well. I have a similar effect on my UMK3

Definitely happens to me on my xvsf aswell, just reiterating what Ghaleon said, try pushing on each of the fours corners where the connection happens.

Also don't forget to apply some pressure directly in the middle aswell, this is what usually fixes it for me.

could be B board or A board issue. It’s easier to narrow down which one if you have other A and B boards to test.

If you don’t have extras You’ll need to open up the cases and examine for any bad corrosion

LOL guys of course I already tried it on few different A board... and checked the +5V too. I forgot to say it in my first post haha.
But maybe I can check if a trace going to 1 of the 4 connector is cut or something like that.

I would also suggest checking the traces around the character/sprite roms given it looks like mainly your sprites are affected. Could be something as simple as one trace being dodgy/a pin of one of the roms not being seated properly.

LOL guys of course I already tried it on few different A board... and checked the +5V too. I forgot to say it in my first post haha.
But maybe I can check if a trace going to 1 of the 4 connector is cut or something like that.
also one of those obvious things... but did you try running the boards outside of the plastic cases? Just naked and completely seated? Rule out that it's not a connection between boards issue caused by the plastic housings. I know it sounds dumb, but like everyone else said those vertical lines are prime indicators of boards not being connected.

Those pins could have cold solder joints on them. Making it so that it doesn't connect no matter how firmly seated the boards are.

Can you get any change in picture if you lightly shake or tap the boards?

The board have no shell the guy gave it to me full of dust and without any shell.
OK OK I will check the traces around the maskrom 13M to 20M and I will check the pins of the connectors CN1, CN2, CN3 and CN4. Hope I will find something easy to fix and I will finally have this game back in my CPS2 collection.

Will come back to you as soon as it's done. (hopefully with good news)

I had exactly the same issue with my X-men vs Street Fighter B-board! :)

I dumped all roms first ensuring they matched the MAME set, and carried on trying all kind of things.
BUT it actually ended up being one of the GFX maskroms. Even thou it matched the romset everytime I dumped the maskrom, it would not work correctly. I cleaned the pins, cleaned the socket, nothing helped.

Try removing them one and one, starting the game everytime, and see which one removes the bars (its will remove more than the bars, but I could still see the bars in the messed up gfx every time untill I removed the faulty one).

Cps2_x-men_vs_street_fighter_set1_mb_top.jpg

Back after a long time on this game.
Recently I had the opportunity to buy for a cool price an other one which is fully working... So i exchanged every eprom, mask roms, pal but nothing change.
I still have the graphic issues on the B-board which have prob and no prob on the B-board of the fully working game.
So it must be a trace or an other coponent on the B-board which have a prob. This will be hard to find. :(

Looks like backgrounds are drawing OK, but sprites are glitchy.

tonne of useful info
https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...e-we-had-a-leaky-battery-repair-thread.19678/

For your specific problem; Capcom called sprites "characters" The chip that is responsible for character addresses is DL-1927 (CGA) so id be looking there first.

if you want to brute-force it you can visit this spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SGXb6cE9Uu68Lmt0O0knL34eWvkaVA7-mJ8i6F27lmk/edit#gid=0
Then find column H (which is the column for the DL-1927)
Then you can read down that column and find where each pin on the DL-1927 goes
Then you can use a multimeter to and check continuity for each one

Or if you wanted to get really fancy you could check the schematic here
https://petitl.fr/cps2/DL-1927.pdf
But reading a schematic is actually not very easy for me, so the spreadsheet version (this pin goes to that pin) was much faster in my case.

Notes
1) Visual inspection has always been useless to me - every single broken trace I've ever found has been invisible even under a microscope
2) reflowing chips has always been useless to me - never once have I successfully repaired anything by reflowing a chip

A logic probe would be quicker than multimeter. Go around and check each pin. If you find one floating then you can check the spreadsheet to see if it should have activity. Sometimes ic's will be acting up and that can be heard via the probe - the signal sounds abnormal, not rhythmic. Either scenario of fault finding will usually be aided by data sheets or understanding of the component at the other end of the trace coming from the 1927.

Back