What's new

Frank_fjs

Multi Boyz 4 Lyfe
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Bit of work and experimentation I've been doing on PGM boards. Figured I'd share.

First up, caps. Easy to do, not many of them and sometimes a necessity. I went with Wurth Electronics caps as they're red and suit the theme of the PGM, they look nice. Secondly they have the correct pitch, radius and height so drop in quite well. Thirdly I've had good experiences with them, they're highly rated and perform well.
78048932_10218799095141492_7974131926380314624_n.jpg

This was a spur of the moment thing. Just testing the waters... LEDs. Had no intention of fitting them but went to Aldi to buy chicken and came home with LED strip lighting from their special buys section. Tried to lay them flat in strategic positions, and used simple DuPont connectors so I can separate the shell from the motherboard if ever needed. Red would probably look better but white is all they had.
78803767_10218799068980838_3826635927376101376_n.jpg
77279632_10218799070340872_2812335832277450752_n.jpg

Nice! I just got a second board with Bee Storm and was thinking about a full recap. Will do it when have some time.

Looks dope!

Those red and white a stereo mod?

Never figured out why the sound on my board isn't working. Wondering if it's something I did when I recapped it. Never played it much before recapping it so cant recall if it worked to begin with X/ I'll pick up another one at some point and trouble shoot my original, isolate the issue.

What all games you got?

Personally I'm not a fan of LED mods but was asked to perform this mod for a customer. The red/white wires are power wires for the LEDs and I used connectors so one can disconnect them if need be for removing the plastic cover.

There is no such thing as a stereo mod. The PGM does not output stereo sound nor are the games encoded with stereo audio.

Big fan of the caps. I carefully selected them for a perfect fit and exceeding performance. There's only 13 caps, they're not expensive and they're all easy to replace; I'm not sure why some people charge exorbitant rates for this specific service. I charged $20 AU for the caps and LED mod including cost of parts.

I've got a few games, off the top of my head:

Demon Front
Bee Storm
Espagaluda
Ketsui
DoDonpachi
Gladiator
Killing Blade
KOV
Oriental Legend

Maybe a couple more I can't remember.

Looks slick. Definitely like the caps. @Frank_fjs do you have the list of caps handy? Lazy to look them up :) I would like to do similar caps for one of my PGM boards.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a stereo mod. The PGM does not output stereo sound nor are the games encoded with stereo audio.

I've got a few games, off the top of my head:
Ah yea, I recall reading people were trying to do some cobbled fake stereo mod anyways. Been awhile.

You have the best ones =O

I would like a surround sound mod for my Atari 2600 please.

There is a stereo mod. The ICS2115 has output pins for left and right channels. There just aren't any games known to use it. Which makes sense since all mobos released are wired for jamma mono.

There is a stereo mod. The ICS2115 has output pins for left and right channels. There just aren't any games known to use it. Which makes sense since all mobos released are wired for jamma mono.
If there are no known games that use it, what is the point?

Yeah, exactly. My board isn't modded.

I guess if you're going to send it to two speakers, it would be kind of cool just knowing you're getting the individual channels off the chip sent to each speaker, rather than the two mixed together. And in the off chance some obscure game programmed some small amount of stereo separation (perhaps by mistake) you would hear it.

I guess it doesn't hurt if you plan to use an external amplifier anyway. And there is the chance that someone produces a patch that adds some stereo mixing to the background music...

Back