What's new
Here we go:

13.1V from both power supplies I tested (I've got a 240V and 120V power supply)

From what I can see all my amps are the '18V' versions,but they are all working fine on a 13V feed, even the two that are feeding off one supply.

I wonder if too much juice is causing your amps to trip?

PX5OkqE.jpg

iFaspru.jpg

Here we go:

13.1V from both power supplies I tested (I've got a 240V and 120V power supply)

From what I can see all my amps are the '18V' versions,but they are all working fine on a 13V feed, even the two that are feeding off one supply.

I wonder if too much juice is causing your amps to trip?
Thank you!! That is a great start, and maybe it's the key to getting our amps up and running. I might have a chance to test mine over the holidays, and I'll post here if it works :D

Would there be any danger in using a Variac to drop my 18V PSU's voltage all the way down to 13V to test?

Hey guys, I wanted to jump onto your conversation as well. I have an Impress with a Q-Sound amp in it. I get sound but I also get a terrible thumping beat over and over.

Here's a link to the youtube of the thumping/beat over and over. I can crank up the volume but it is deafening if I need it to be loud enough to drown it out.

Any ideas as well? if I can help let me know as well.

Likely it is the PCB and not the amp. See what happens when you put in another PCB into the same cab. If the thumping goes away, then it is the PCB.

FWIW, ran into an old post on N-G today by accident (random googling lead me there) and the Q-Sound amp needs 12V with 2.5Amp minimum on first and third pin (even the 18v version for whatever reason). No 2.5 amps, won't work. Center is ground, but as acblunden's pic in the very beginning of the thread shows, it doesn't even need to be wired up.

Going to see if I have a spare arcade PSU laying around in the house I can hook up just to see if mine will work.

I just bought a G2 BB cab today. Cleaning it up now. It has the transformer for the amp but not the amp. Also, my other two G2's have the amps and they both seem to be different aesthetically (one is black, I think?). What do you guys need specifically?

Looking at the schematics of capcom Impress cab, the Qsound amp seems to be feed by the cabs power supply 12v line.
The 12v on this power supply is 3.5A.
The part i’m confused with is that i read on this topic that the amp needed AC but the Power supply delivers DC...

Equally confusing some information says you need 18v, others say 12V.

I have no idea.

I guess we need an ULTIMATE GUIDE to the Q-Sound amp.

What voltage does it need?
Is it AC or DC?
How is it wired?
Etc.

Actually I just realized that @wigsplitta may have already answered the question. Some people online claim 13.5V AC for Q-Sound, and his is running at 13.1V, which would agree with that. If @acblunden2 could confirm this on his two boards, we may have our answer.

Also, out of curiosity: Is the Naomi's Q-Sound transformer exactly the same voltage?
Edit: The Naomi's Q-Sound transformer is rated at 17V AC, according to the manual at least.
Naomi Q-Sound.png

Last edited:
Thanks so much. That nails it :)

Stupid question, but is there any way I can use that 18V AC adapter that I picked up, maybe by using some resistors? I looked up the math, but it seems like I need to know the Q-Sound's power draw in order to calculate how to drop 18V to 13.5V.

Back