What's new

BuddyC

Champion
Reaction score
Hi!

After a lot of work, my Capcom Impress lives again after I got a sweet Nanao MS9 29A chassis installed.
Everything works like a treat, but since the old Hitachi GML chassis had auto-degauss, I need to install a momentary action switch for degaussing. Capcom Impress did not ha a degauss button installed.

Anybody willing to give me some pointers? Some Pictures would be nice for a stupid old bastard like me....

Thanks in advance!

Does your tube have the degauss coil around it?

Yes sir!
Toshiba tube has everything hooked up correctly. Just need a smart way to add a degauss button since the stock PSU in the Impress does not have this function

I found some guides by other people doing the same chassis swap on arcade otaku, but not a lot of details regarding the manual degauss button install

Don’t want to fuck things up now that everything is finally working…

It's right next to where you plug in the coil:

ms9_degauss.jpg

Connector series is JST VH.

https://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=262

I think there's a way to make it auto degauss too, however, from what I've understood auto degauss fucks up the PTC in the long term, so it's something I always make sure isn't on any of my cabs.

Thanks for the tip, but is there a way to hook up a momentary switch to this. How would I wire this up?
Just crimp some cable to this type of Connector and hook it up to a button?

That's right. That's all there is to it.

make sure the switch can handle 5A at least - preferably 10A

you should desolder the posistor and see if it rattles, the monitor should auto-degause but the posistors often crack inside with age.

Most MS9 certainly don't auto degauss. What model revision does that?

Also, the switches on Japanese candy cabs are like 3A.

I need to do the same to one of my cabinets- can I use the same button type used for test/service?

Hmmm.... Hooked up a wire directly to the AMP up connector since this area on my custom Impress to MS9 adaptor was unpopulated. Had the correct pins from another Amp up connector, but no action at all. I even let the monitor wark up, but pushing the button didn’t do shit.

Does Polarity affect the degauss?
Or maybe the degauss circuit is dead.... Anyway to test the cicuit with a multimeter?

Pic of my Hitachi GML to Nanao MS9 adaptor kit.
665E49A3-1D4F-4F73-9DDE-BC9E7A1C0AFC.jpeg

i dont care what size switch company's fit,
the inrush to a big degausing coil is far more than you would think - enough to blow a monitor isolation transformer if your unlucky enough.
(i'v seen that happen)

Pic of my Hitachi GML to Nanao MS9 adaptor kit.
665E49A3-1D4F-4F73-9DDE-BC9E7A1C0AFC.jpeg
Looks like you have the wrong set of pins populated on the connector for the chassis end. Double check with the image that I posted.

Wanted to follow up on this. I was able to get one of these wired up. Takes all of 5 mins. I used a 5A switch, as I was unable to find a 10a.

Now the problem of where to mount it....

Back