What's new

joele

Beginner
Reaction score
Thought I would throw up a thread so if people want to post their setup, maybe there is a pattern and also somewhere to post/find the solution IF found..

Mine is running on a rev 4 Marvel v Capcom (pal G) board, everything works fine except really annoying crackling that is almost constant, but more noticeable when less audio/action. The crackling is present with MvsC too but only with the multi, if I put my original chips back on it works fine (same A and B boards).

I am running my audio through the stereo RCA outputs.

I also have a suicided Tower of Doom (Pal f) board that I was gong to try out next, it is a rev 3 so not expecting a different result but it is the only other board I have to test out..

hey mitsurugi. I know you mentioned that if the problem source or solution is found to this problem, it will be posted up.

Any further reassurance on this I.e. is this being looked into by anyone involved on the project?

Thanks again

It's being looked into. It's just not an easy thing to find. As soon as we have a solution we'll post it here in the first place.

I sent my crackling CPS2 Multi to Mitsurugi a few weeks ago, so he is working on it.

Do you get the crackling sound when using the JAMMA Audio, or is the crackling sound limited to the RCA jacks?

:(
my multi is coming in in a few days and I was planning on using my MvC rev4 with G pal as well...
Which cps2 A/B board should I use as a base to avoid this problem?
cheers

Just to add to this thread, I tried different B boards, A boards, and G pals, cabs, line audio, stereo audio. The problem follows my multi kit. Avalanche Roms burned to EPROMs same boards have no crackling sound. I did experience less crackling it seems when I used my marvel vs capcom board so I have stuck with that one. It's there but tolerable. Using a Xmen vs street fighter board I had way worse crackling audio.

Just to add to this thread, I tried different B boards, A boards, and G pals, cabs, line audio, stereo audio. The problem follows my multi kit. Avalanche Roms burned to EPROMs same boards have no crackling sound. I did experience less crackling it seems when I used my marvel vs capcom board so I have stuck with that one. It's there but tolerable. Using a Xmen vs street fighter board I had way worse crackling audio.
what's the difference on each? Original PAL? Copy? which revision? Please provide so much info as possible.

Any update on the crackling sound issue? I've tried 2 different rev 7 pcbs and both have the same issue.

Actually - do we have anyone on here who is not experiencing this audio crackling issue?

If so, can you please advise the following, as I'd be interested to test my kit on another board if I ever get the chance:

1. What board was used as the 'donor' board e.g. "I used Street fighter alpha 3"

2. What region/colour board was it e.g. Blue, Green, Grey, Orange, Yellow etc.

3. What revision board was it when you opened the case? e.g. It was a rev 4

4. What was the native PAL chip e.g. "I originally already had an F PAL", or "I already had a G PAL" , "I had a D PAL"

5. What did you have to modify to get your kit working? e.g. "I kept my F PAL, and soldered to (lifted) pin 7 and connected to J17 on multi kit", or "I had to do nothing, as I already had a G PAL", or, "I had a D PAL, and changed to G PAL, and i didnt lift any pins, i just soldered pin 9 on G PAL socket to CN3 C13...." and so on

6. Also - as per Mitsurugi-W's setup video, it mentions that Capcom factory converted boards to run on GPAL, using a jumper wire from G PAL pin 9 to CN3 C13. It seems that anyone that has tried this jumper wire, still gets audio corruption, and has to remove that wire, and then run a lifted pin9 GPAL to J17 on multi kit as a workaround.
Has anyone actually successfully been able to run this kit, using the 'capcom converted' style jumper wire underneath the board, rather than running a wire to the multi kit J17?

I currently only have mono sound going... and I only have about 30 minutes of playtime thus far... but I did "try" to listen for this popping noise... and once or twice I "thought" I heard what you guys are talking about but i'd listen more and nothing...

Any specific test/volume level you recommend?

1. Marvel COTA
2. Blue
3. rev. 4
4. I used a Darksoft supplied GPAL.
5. I lifted pin 9 of the GPAL and attached it to the pin on the multi.
6. No I have not...using method above.

I too am using JAMMA mono audio, not RCA's.

Easiest test is to put the volume up a bit so its not quiet, and load a game e.g. Super SF2 X, and make sure 'demo sound' is enabled in the games config, and just listen to the intro music

A lot of games use only one sound rom. Those will give you no crackling. Apparently the crackling only happens when the QSOUND DSP chip is reading from the two flashroms at the same time. (It doesn't read from both at the same time, but it does read from either on very short time intervals)

Thus far I've not been able to identify any issue... I still have only played a few games thus far (been busy) but even when trying to hear any pops/clicks... nothing.

The crackling is very subtle, it only annoy the people who play with headphones. (people like me hehe)

If you play with the cab speakers it's very unlikely you will notice anything.

I received a multi kit already mounted to a rev 3 board with all wires attached and games loaded on sd card from darksoft today and have crackling audio on every game. This was all done by the man himself so what might this be? I have tried different A boards and same result. firmly pressed all legs down etc

Back