What's new
listen to the whole clip, I didn't edit it due to it being only 20secs

Attachments

• Audio Crackle 1.zip
    165.3 KB · Views: 268
BTW... that one click is not on my original... it was added when I uploaded to youtube.

Frizzle I don't really hear any crackle in yours unless I'm missing it..

A lot of games use only one sound rom. Those will give you no crackling. Apparently the crackling only happens when the QSOUND DSP chip is reading from the two flashroms at the same time. (It doesn't read from both at the same time, but it does read from either on very short time intervals)
Every one I have personally tested (4 or 5) has some form of crackling. Some are noticeable and some you really have to strain to hear. It is a strange issue. Personally, when I am playing a game I don't really notice the crackle. It can also be slightly negated by adjusting the volume on the cab and the pcb but it's still going to be there. But I know that a lot of collector's are really anal about these things so I really do understand the annoyance.

My question now is if there is a way to mod these kits or are we looking at a potential redesign for future potential runs. Maybe a larger flash for the sound?

Yeah it's just annoying. I love playing the fighters ( street fighters ) and I actually like the music, I don't blast it but like a nice level. So it's a little disappointing

Yep, after listening more closely, I can confirm my kit also has some crackling. Totally can't notice it in-game through speakers, so it's not a showstopper, but now I can hear it I know it's going to bug me :p

blue rev7 w/G pal.

A lot of games use only one sound rom. Those will give you no crackling. Apparently the crackling only happens when the QSOUND DSP chip is reading from the two flashroms at the same time. (It doesn't read from both at the same time, but it does read from either on very short time intervals)
Every one I have personally tested (4 or 5) has some form of crackling. Some are noticeable and some you really have to strain to hear. It is a strange issue. Personally, when I am playing a game I don't really notice the crackle. It can also be slightly negated by adjusting the volume on the cab and the pcb but it's still going to be there. But I know that a lot of collector's are really anal about these things so I really do understand the annoyance.
My question now is if there is a way to mod these kits or are we looking at a potential redesign for future potential runs. Maybe a larger flash for the sound?
also having the crackling audio problems over here. using an xmen: children of the atom donor board, rev 6 with a G PAL from darksoft and no jumper wire. everything else functions great.

the problem is more than just an annoyance, for me.

please keep us updated on a potential fix.

Every one I have personally tested (4 or 5) has some form of crackling. Some are noticeable and some you really have to strain to hear. It is a strange issue. Personally, when I am playing a game I don't really notice the crackle. It can also be slightly negated by adjusting the volume on the cab and the pcb but it's still going to be there. But I know that a lot of collector's are really anal about these things so I really do understand the annoyance.My question now is if there is a way to mod these kits or are we looking at a potential redesign for future potential runs. Maybe a larger flash for the sound?
also having the crackling audio problems over here. using an xmen: children of the atom donor board, rev 6 with a G PAL from darksoft and no jumper wire. everything else functions great.
the problem is more than just an annoyance, for me.

please keep us updated on a potential fix.
We're working on the easiest option for a fix. As soon as we are sure where exactly the problem comes from, we'll post all possible solutions we can come with (firmware upgrade, adding resistors, etc)

So can anyone confirm if there are any B boards that don't cause the sound crackling issue, or is it present in all revisions?

So can anyone confirm if there are any B boards that don't cause the sound crackling issue, or is it present in all revisions?
At this moment testing is leading us to explore options on the main kit pcb as a potential fix.

It is funny how different it is on different systems, mine is going through stereo output and amplifier and is a really loud crackling, but maybe that is how the amp is interacting/amplifying with the extra crackle?

Very loud and noticeable in 1944..

Welp..I have now experienced the issue... 1944 exhibits this tick/crackle issue with me...

This is what I've checked so far in the CPS2 Multi, unfortunately without success:
1) Check for delays and proper timing between control signals and memory buffers. The same between addresses and data - everything is ok, there is even extra time left for at least 20 ns.
2) Check the voltage level.
- Addresses that are issued from the B Board are clean and have a maximum voltage (from the CPS2 of ~ 3.6V
- Data that is issued to the B Board is also clean, the maximum voltage is 5V issued, tried to lower the voltage to the level of 3.6V (as
address lines) - did not help
- Signals # CE11, and # CE12 have noise when low. These noises reach up to 1.55V and are sometimes captured by the buffer as high. This does not affect in any way the crackling (at signal driven to GND and get rid of noise, crackling on are audible)
3) Trying to clear the buffer logic controllers (in order to remove any possible delays) - no improvement

After that I removed the long pins associated with the sound samples and replaced them with normal eproms. It works perfect. No crackling at all.

I thought that problem may come from games using two sample roms and that problem may come from a delay introduced by my design, but...no. I tested games that use one single mask rom and crackling is still there.

So now I can only think of three things:
1) sample rom files have *all* of them been badly joined. Could be, but little probable.
2) there is a bug in the programming process that makes the flashes not being programmed properly. (I believe you checked that)
3) A mistake in the design that introduces a delay somewhere or creates a clash in the bus that produces that crackling.

This is a small update for you to see that I'm working on solving this issue. I will investigate further and get back to you asap.

@Leo, IDC, Mitsurugi, if you can help with 1st and 2nd option that'd be great. I'm afraid that the data being shown to the sound processor might not be the right one.
I'll analyze further the 3rd option.

Wow it's safe to say you've been busy. I appreciate the update and knowing it's not forgotten. Thank you :thumbup:

Back