What's new
Whats so special about the neosd tool that needs to be password protected?

this forum is also password protected though

this forum is also password protected though
I dunno. I think it's linked to the idea that the NeoSD is individually keyed, so that NG:DEV.TEAM or others could put out DRM downloads of their games that only worked on a specific cart.

OK after the finding about the way in which REALLY games are loaded on NeoSD, I think we are all on the same page. It's actually a good thing to see all the mistakes they are going through so I don't make them.

I.E. Looks that the microSD card can't be accessed when the cart is inserted.
Could not agree more.

the software updates are keyed

generall roms are all open

From what I've understood, each kit has its own encryption key, so the firmware that each user downloads only works with his particular kit. A bit of a hassle if you ask me I believe that the main goal is to stop chinese manufacturers from cloning it. So much protection for a device that they did "for themselves" :saint:
The utility to convert the roms must use the MAME code in order to decrypt them properly and group them. I think the tool is only available for users logged in, but there is not much magic there as all the info is in MAME, However I'm sure that building the tool took a nice amount of work.

if they use MAME code, then their tool must be GNU, ergo they must release the source code.

Oh wait, I forgot we are talking about pirates here... :D

if they use MAME code, then their tool must be GNU, ergo they must release the source code.
I was thinking the same, if the tool could be made opensource. that way it can be ported to other platforms (Mac/Linux anyone?) and kept working.

So it seems these guys cracked Metal Slug X protection, and neosd plays this game without patching it...

It's not like they cracked anything and dumped a new rom, they just updated their own firmware.

It's not like they cracked anything and dumped a new rom, they just updated their own firmware.
But with the new firmware, Metal Slug X seems to pass unibios crc test, which means they have produced a correctly decrypted P rom, so they cracked the protection correctly, no?

I thInk it means the cart emulates the protection correctly now instead of patching it while flashing to the device.

I guess if this information will be shared with MAME.

Basically it's like @ekorz says. The game is clear how it's decrypted as all the information is already in MAME, but the extra protection chips are not understood, so the only choice was to patch the code.

Hi

I just registered to get more info on the upcoming darksoft's neo geo flashcart. I have a MVS with a 161 in 1 that I'm consolizing and a AES with a single game, just patiently waiting for Darksoft's stuff. THe NeoSD took me by surprise, but I'm going to wait.... I'm also hunting a CPS2 A+B board to get me the CPS 2 Darksoft's kit.

Is there a thread to discuss the upcoming DS flashcart? my main question is, is DS going to work on AES or is it only for MVS?

Hi

I just registered to get more info on the upcoming darksoft's neo geo flashcart. I have a MVS with a 161 in 1 that I'm consolizing and a AES with a single game, just patiently waiting for Darksoft's stuff. THe NeoSD took me by surprise, but I'm going to wait.... I'm also hunting a CPS2 A+B board to get me the CPS 2 Darksoft's kit.

Is there a thread to discuss the upcoming DS flashcart? my main question is, is DS going to work on AES or is it only for MVS?
Welcome!

Go here, lots to read thru and discuss if you would like:
NEOGEO + AES Multi

DS is working on a AES version soon to be released after the MVS one.

Back