What's new

dnphamus13

Student
Reaction score
This maybe the wrong place to ask the question, but you never know. Has anyone on the forum worked with fiberglass? I'm looking to replace the seats on driving cabs with fiberglass backed racing seats. If you're over 35, you'll understand. My issue is, I still want the speakers in the seat, Maximum Tune 3DX+.

The long hot Texas summer is coming to an end, and the garage is cooler, and I got times to play

I don't have personal experience with something like this, but do plan to install a seat like that in my driving cab.

Is the idea to install the speaker in the seat back? Should the speaker face the front or the back?

If you were getting the kind like you linked, I would assume the cover can come off and you'd have an exposed fiberglass frame. I'd use a Dremel or something to route out a section for the speaker, hopefully doing it in such a way that you can install the speaker with screws in the mounting holes, and then run the wires along the back, hidden under the cover.

If you needed to fill it in, you could go with some fiberglass or auto-body filler, but I think both of those are going to smell pretty bad and take forever for the smell to go away (i.e. do it outside). Also, if you're doing any kind of routing out of fiberglass, it would probably be best to do it outside and with a mask. It wouldn't be good to breathe in the dust.

FYI: I've seen a lot of aftermarket car seats on eBay for cheaper than what you linked. I don't have a clue about quality or comfort, but I was probably going to try out one of the ones that's around $100.

If you're over 35, you'll understand.
I'm not 35 yet, but my back sure does hurt after sitting in my OR2SP cab for any long period of time. So am I to assume comfort is the goal? :P

My Maximum Tune 3DX+ has speakers in the seat, and the sound is a improvement over the Sega cabs. Nothing Dolby quality, but it sounds better, but sitting on that hard plastic though..... More a less that's the plan. I figure from the back the with fiberglass backed seat, the cab still resembles an arcade cab vs a racing sim. Another project for next year.

Back