What's new

Mr. X

Student
Reaction score
Hello. New to arcade owners scene, got my first cab a few days ago (Sega Astro City). I now am trying to address some of the issues I have with it as well as replacing some of the parts it came with.

I got it with some custom button panel with what I believe were HAPP buttons/stick. The stick had wires going to each individual microswitch. After painstakingly removing all the wiring (it was all rusted and gunked on, had to pull some out by force). I find myself a little confused... It seems the Sanwa JLF stick I got with my new panel has a 5 pin connector instead of wires going to each microswitch.

I figure the easiest way to fix this (as well as addressing these old ass wires), is to see if its possible to buy something to replace the wires coming from the red circle to the buttons/sticks. Although SOME of the wires seem to be connected in a bundle with electric tape that's tucked under the female connectors (red arrow). Can anyone let me know if this is possible, and if so, what I would need to purchase? Also have a problem with the previous panels bolts, they seem to large for the panel I got. Or the panel drilled the hole too small : /

http://imgur.com/a/oC33Z

Again, sorry for my noobiness.

Thanks!

here is the pinout for your joystick,

did your sanwa joystick come with a white tap and wires coming out of it?
if so you can wire them to the control panel... also when you put in the bolts ..it has a squarer bottom to fit nice and flat.

Attachments

• JoystickWiringGuide2__90136.1349796435.1280.1280__84774.1465357091.1280.1280.jpg
    JoystickWiringGuide2__90136.1349796435.1280.1280__84774.1465357091.1280.1280.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 180
Unfortunately, the panel I got did not come with any wires. Just the panel with the stick and buttons installed into it.

I'm beginning to think the bolts were the not the original ones, or the panel cutout the square holes too small.

Last edited:
Did your Sanwa come with a wire harness like in this image?

SANWA-JLF-TP-8YT-2.jpg

The square-bottomed bolts are called carriage bolts. They'd be what was in there originally.

As for the cabinet, here's the pinout for that: http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Naomi_Universal

If you don't want to wire up your own connector you can wait around for one to pop up on Yahoo Auctions Japan. They do from time to time, and NNC/NC/NAC/AC/Naomi Universal all have the same pinout, so it'll be plug and play.

Nah, I got it from HKLegends. It was just the panel, with stick and buttons mounted. But no wires included.

Last edited:
What would I do to connect those wires to this 5pin dealy on the Sanwa JLF stick?

EDIT: actually, If I'm not mistaken.. That first eBay link has that 5pin connecter for the stick on there, right?

As for the kick harness, I might just leave it for now... I need to clean out this cab a bit to really get inside and see whats going on here. But what I believe is the kick harness is not actually going into those molex connectors, it's tucked under and going somewhere else.

What would I do to connect those wires to this 5pin dealy on the Sanwa JLF stick?

EDIT: actually, If I'm not mistaken.. That first eBay link has that 5pin connecter for the stick on there, right?
That first link is a plug and play answer to your problem. You'll need 2 if you have a 2 player panel. It's a little overpriced, but it's not super awful.

The harness I linked has a 5pin for the sanwa yes. I think the same seller has another, or I at least saw another harness on eBay that also has a 5pin. Only thing I don't know is if it's Sanwa or Seimitsu, they both take the same connector just in a different orientation. I'd guess Sanwa

It seems a little pricey for just some wires :x

In any case, I contacted both of those sellers to confirm if the 5-in is for Sanwa or not.

It seems a little pricey for just some wires
This is why it's best to invest in some new tools to go with your new hobby. Then you can make your own wire harnesses! :D

It seems a little pricey for just some wires :x
yeah eBay is like that. But it's there... waiting... now...
at least you know what to hunt around for now!

2 connectors, 25 ft of wire, quick disconnects, labor... it's not free either. I agree it's overpriced but not crazy

Well if it wasn't for the whole Sanwa or Seimetsu thing, I would probably buy them. Need to get clarification on that first I guess.

Anyone know If I can just get this?

I'm assuming Id need to basically replace the wires going into the molexy thing with this. I guess the question is how easy is that.. I wonder if I can just pull the wires out of the connector and replace it with this using the wiring guide o_O

https://www.focusattack.com/5-pin-wiring-harness/

Anyone know If I can just get this?

I'm assuming Id need to basically replace the wires going into the molexy thing with this. I guess the question is how easy is that.. I wonder if I can just pull the wires out of the connector and replace it with this using the wiring guide o_O

https://www.focusattack.com/5-pin-wiring-harness/
that's what usually comes with a Sanwa. Yes it totally works, that is why I asked above :thumbup:

You should leave the "molexy thing" alone, assuming it is still fine - just crimp on some male quick disconnects to the ends of the Sanwa harness and attach to the original cable. If you do need to replace the JST connector (molexy thing) you'd still need to crimp on pins to the wires and assemble it. Also I doubt the Sanwa cable is long enough by itself anyway.

30051FL.gif

I think I understand what you mean. Any idea where to get these male quick disconnects? Are special tools required to crimp the loose wires from the Sanwa harness end into the male quick disconnects?

Thanks

I'd think any hardware store will have "spade connectors" and a cheap crimping tool. Amazon has assorted sets of different sizes. I'm not sure what gauge the Blast uses but you could take in a female to a store and try out what fits. Probably .25 or .187. YouTube has a ton of videos on crimping quick disconnects, but basically you're just squishing the metal of the connector into the wire.

I see. In essence I need this

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server...V_HARNESS__56904.1438218831.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

... But in reverse. (Males instead of Females and Females instead of Males)... Too bad they dont make a prebuilt conversion the otherway round (trust me I looked). Although it would make the ground daisy chain irrelevant, I'm hoping its ok that they just hang free with nothing being connected to them.

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate you dealing with my ignorance on wiring. I'm having a couple people over next weekend to check out the cab and give me suggestions (they have experience in such things).

Not really. the Sanwa at least only needs one line connected to ground. The pcb itself uses that common ground. You could get 5 male connectors, that cable, and call it a day.

Back