What's new

winteriscoming

Champion
Reaction score
One of my 4 Chihiros is having issues where it won't boot consistently, and when I can get it to boot, it often freezes within a few minutes.

It's never FRAGing (flashing red and green), and the green LED seems to indicate that it is booting, but often there is no sound and either there's no video, or sometimes there's dark garbled video kind of frozen on the boot screen.

I have other working Chihiros and can swap boards. The issue seems to stay with the Xbox motherboard.

I took it totally apart and inspected caps, but don't see any visibly bad ones. I took out the memory cap. The underside of the PCB under the GPU does not appear to be cooked, though I did notice the GPU fan was seized. I have since replaced it. I was thinking I might go ahead and replace the caps, but not sure what else to do.

Note that this particular Chihiro had its base with burnt out GPU swapped out for the base from a Type 1 and reportedly worked fine. I received it this way and it booted fine long enough for me to upgrade firmware and netboot WMMT to it, but I turned if off and left it for a couple weeks while I worked on getting the first cab of the pair up and running.

It's not an urgent priority for me, but thought I'd document the issue and see if anyone had ideas. If I ultimately can't get it working, it will suck, but won't be a huge deal because I only need 3 working Chihiros at the moment.

Back