What's new
I am in favor of getting Punisher converted. This stuff takes a lot of time, and someone with these engineering skills has to be making $50-100/hr somewhere for their time. This isn't a 5-10 hour job. If the bounty we had was $100k or something I think we could hold our negotiating position but realistically we're asking someone to commit their time for way less than their work rate. We're not hiring an engineer, we're helping to tip the balance of their interest. They'd be doing this conversion for a) fun, b) the community, and c) the prestige, and d) the actual monetary reward.

It's a 2 month thing assuming you know what you are doing.
I read that as a 100 hours project for an experienced engineer ($100/hr), so $10,000 minimum if we were hiring someone.

Let's get it done!

As I said, this will set the ground for someone taking over the conversions of the remaining games.
In that case, it sounds like we should request that the work done be made public information so that anyone who may choose to work on the remaining games has access to it, as well as anyone who wants to tinker.

That, coupled with all regions of Punisher working proper seems a fair request.

Do the other games besides Punisher work in a similar way, or will every one need a completely different type of hacking/conversion?
*cough* *cough* two posts above yours I wrote: they would need to have more modifications in the code and graphics like:.....
Yes I know, maybe I didn’t state my question right?

these extra modificications would be very different for each individual game? So meaning the work and research will basically start from scratch for every individual game?
Or do they work in a similar way so if 1 was achieved, the others could be fairly easy leverage from it?

Do the other games besides Punisher work in a similar way, or will every one need a completely different type of hacking/conversion?
*cough* *cough* two posts above yours I wrote: they would need to have more modifications in the code and graphics like:.....
Yes I know, maybe I didn’t state my question right?
these extra modificications would be very different for each individual game? So meaning the work and research will basically start from scratch for every individual game?
Or do they work in a similar way so if 1 was achieved, the others could be fairly easy leverage from it?
Many things can be learnt from current conversion, but sprites and layers priority needs to be done from scratch in the way that was posted before (converting to sprites, etc)
so let's say that IMHO 50% of the job will be already known and the remaining part is the sprites/background section.

Punisher was one of (if not) the first CPS1.5 games, it makes since from a code perspective that Capcom didn't rely as heavily on the new spright functions of the 1.5 as this was all new.
By the time C&D came out, I'm sure they had reached further into the new features/power provided to them by this hardware.

From a port perspective this isn't good news... It likely means any work done on Punisher will have little application to the others ports.
That being said even the longest journey begins with a single step, so let's take it and get Punisher converted.

OK. Latest update on this. So that you can see that this is real, I agreed on the following terms of course, pledgers need to agree on this.

We split the payment on 2 parts of 500 USD. The 1st payment will allow me to release the conversion as it is right now, that will give you a very good idea of where we are. With those 500 USD we are buying the conversion as it is. When he fixes the remaining bugs, he'll get the remaining 500 USD.

As soon as Please confirm if you are OK with that.

Thanks.

I'm OK with putting 50$ toward the necessary 500$ to release the first imperfect Punisher conversion.
I will send the remaining 50$ of my pledge upon release of the final polished version.
I will send the Punisher PCB upon completion of the project (all 1.5 games working on 2.0 hardware).

Sound like a solid plan, just let me know when you want to collect my share

Since my pledge amount was a small $20 USD, I will put it towards the initial $500 for initial release of Punisher.

OK. Latest update on this. So that you can see that this is real, I agreed on the following terms of course, pledgers need to agree on this.

We split the payment on 2 parts of 500 USD. The 1st payment will allow me to release the conversion as it is right now, that will give you a very good idea of where we are. With those 500 USD we are buying the conversion as it is. When he fixes the remaining bugs, he'll get the remaining 500 USD.

Thanks.
All regions?
Work made public so others can take up the reigns from there without having to disassemble the ported roms in order to do so?

If yes, I'm fine with sending my $100 up front.

I'm OK with putting 50$ toward the necessary 500$ to release the first imperfect Punisher conversion.
I will send the remaining 50$ of my pledge upon release of the final polished version.
I will send the Punisher PCB upon completion of the project (all 1.5 games working on 2.0 hardware).
sounds like a plan!

Thanks.
All regions?Work made public so others can take up the reigns from there without having to disassemble the ported roms in order to do so?

1) Only one region
2) Romset will be released to everyone. If by work you mean notes or info on how it was converted, probably he'll provide some info, but we should count on having to disassemble this.

Let's be clear if you dont want to go ahead, I'm fine. Let's look for someone else doing this job.....if we can find it.

Thanks.
All regions?Work made public so others can take up the reigns from there without having to disassemble the ported roms in order to do so?
1) Only one region2) Romset will be released to everyone. If by work you mean notes or info on how it was converted, probably he'll provide some info, but we should count on having to disassemble this.
I think for the price, info on how it's been converted should be provided.

One of your selling points was that it would "pave the way" for future games.

We also can't use the same method to get the other regions working if this info is not available.

Having to disassemble the work to re-create it seems like a largely unnecessary hindrance when sharing the notes up front would save everyone after this point a lot of time and effort.

Let's be clear if you dont want to go ahead, I'm fine. Let's look for someone else doing this job.....if we can find it.
I'm simply trying to get a grasp of both what we're receiving, as well as have a discussion as to how this will affect things moving forward.

Is this build in the same state as when he last posted about it over three years ago?

I guess what I'm asking is will @neocps1 resume work on this if we pay the first half of what he's asking, or is he busy?

Maybe he could chime into this thread and provide some more information?

Last edited:
Back