What's new

XeD

Grand Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up an oscilloscope. What kind of spec should I be looking for to do 80s and 90s pcb repair? I don't have a big budget

I'm thinking about picking up an oscilloscope. What kind of spec should I be looking for to do 80s and 90s pcb repair? I don't have a big budget
I'm using Rigol DS1052E. It is a budget 50Mhz scope. You can also soft upgrade it to 100Mhz. ;)

This (or similar class) DSO (Digital Storage Oscilloscope) should be sufficient for your repairs.

So something in the 100Mhz range is good enough? There is a Tektronix 2235 for a 100.00 Canadian on the local CL which I'm looking at and is around more of my budget. Is 2 ch good enough?

So something in the 100Mhz range is good enough? There is a Tektronix 2235 for a 100.00 Canadian on the local CL which I'm looking at and is around more of my budget. Is 2 ch good enough?
Yes, 100 Mhz is good enough. Even 50 Mhz scope is OK for arcade/console repair. After all you'll never worry about scientifically accurate measurements. You just want to detect a signal's presence (and shape of it) in arcade repair, not designing the circuit from scratch ;)

Regarding channels. Yes, 2 ch is enough. I barely use the second channel anyway. Used only a few times to compare a timing/delay of two signals.

If you don't want to invest too much, a second hand Tektronix will be an excellent tool for the job, if it is working fine ;) Just keep in mind, the probes are sometimes more important than the scope itself. You'll be frustrated if the probes are faulty. So better make sure the probes are OK...

Well I finally got around to picking up a few scopes. Deal was just to good to pass up. I got a tek 466 for 50 Cad and a day later a lightly use Rigol 1054Z for 300 Cad. Craigslist browsing at midnight can have its benefit. Now I just have to find time to learn how to use them. How does one test the probs? A few of the one that can with the tek 466 have no real marking. Data sheet my best bet?

Best way to test the probes is to use the built in test voltage, there will be a point on the front panel for exactly that.

It produces a square wave signal so you can calibrate the scope and confirm your probes work correctly :)

Source: I have a Tek scope myself, great piece of gear

Reactions: XeD
once you cal the probes, dont swap them around.

Back