What's new
that's how I would have thought the object roms would be consolidated
I think that's how it works.
I appreciate the replies but I'm looking for a more definitive answer. It's entirely possible that that these ROMs need to be concatenated in reverse order, or the data is striped or some other ROM needs to be modified to access the data once consolidated.

If these were socketed ROMs I'd just experiment but where these are surface mount and I'm not the best at SMD soldering I'd rather not risk damaging the PCB by removing/replacing these ICs multiple times while I attempt to get the data correct.

You may be able test them in MAME by renaming an existing two object rom game.

Sorry I can't give you a more precise answer.

Reactions: nem
You may be able test them in MAME by renaming an existing two object rom game.

Sorry I can't give you a more precise answer.
I'd considered that but I don't believe that will work unless you also modify the source for the larger ROM size and recompile. I've been unsuccessful in getting MAME to compile for me without errors unfortunately :(

Has anyone tried this conversion using the conversion ROMs that @Apocalypse released?

I have a Super World Stadium 97. I removed the object ROM board and booted it like that just to test, the game still runs without the object board but is obviously missing some-things, but it boots and runs and I can enter test mode-etc. I wanted to see if I could test the conversion without the Object ROMs before I started desoldering things...

I programmed all the ROMs for Nebulas Ray using Apocalypse's program ROMs and the rest from MAME (minus the object board) but all I get is a black screen, no export warning, no audio, no ability to enter test mode, etc.

looking at MAME the only difference in the main-board ROMs between Super World Stadium and Nebulas Ray is that the sound ROM is 1M instead of 4M but there is a jumper for that, it doesn't seem to make a difference in either position. The rest of the ROMs are the same sizes.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried this conversion using the conversion ROMs that @Apocalypse released?

I have a Super World Stadium 97. I removed the object ROM board and booted it like that just to test, the game still runs without the object board but is obviously missing some-things, but it boots and runs and I can enter test mode-etc. I wanted to see if I could test the conversion without the Object ROMs before I started desoldering things...

I programmed all the ROMs for Nebulas Ray using Apocalypse's program ROMs and the rest from MAME (minus the object board) but all I get is a black screen, no export warning, no audio, no ability to enter test mode, etc.

looking at MAME the only difference in the main-board ROMs between Super World Stadium and Nebulas Ray is that the sound ROM is 1M instead of 4M but there is a jumper for that, it doesn't seem to make a difference in either position. The rest of the ROMs are the same sizes.
Each game has a unique protection chip(KeyCus).
The conversion of apocalypse is perhaps based on the protection chip of Point Blank? (KeyCus C386)

I do not believe but you should ask him.
My old conversion works with the Point Blank cuskey mounted.
Without CusKey = black screen

I don't see it locked to point blank as that game uses the keycus in a different way (and very easy to patch, see mame source code)

Tried with the Point Blank KEYCUS and that did not work. Tried with all of the ROMs on the Point Blank PCB and that did not work either.

I erased my eproms, blank check, program, verify, boot, remove the KEUVCUS, black screen.
When I put KEYCUS back in I get this screen :

Last edited:
How do I clear NVRAM ? Do I use a large (5W?) resistor between +5V and GND to make sure all caps get depleted ?

Last edited:
Well I got the same screen in MAME by modifying the EEPROM file. Then pressing any button cleared it and then game booted.
I can bypass this check too.

[EDIT]
Try this:

http://www.filedropper.com/nr2mpru_1

Once again MAME has proven its limit... :(

I haven't burned the latest files you posted but it seems the game is stuck in reset mode. I tried pressing (all!) the buttons on Player1 and nothing happens and keeps resetting.

Please try the files in the link above with bypassed EEPROM check.

P.S.: It really should initialise EEPROM after the error message, otherwise you get a corrupted high scores screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, ok, ok. Found an additional write to the KeyCus when EEPROM isn't initialised:

filedropper.com/nr2mpru_3
I just tried this.

I see a starfield for a second, then the "version mismatch" message for a split second and then the board reboots, and it gets stuck in a boot loop like this.

I can actually coin it up and start a game while the star field is displayed if I'm fast enough but then it just resets. I can't get it to go into test mode though.

Back