What's new

Fredo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Here is a quick mod I did to my New Net City: puting a 3.5 mm female audio jack on my New Net City to plug an audio headphone:
headphone_panel.jpg

You need a Sega coin-ejector button:
coin_selector.jpg

Take it apart and keep the mounting base and the bolt:
ejector_demonte.jpg

Find a female audio jack that fits inside the ejector's base:

embase.jpg

Wire it up, put it all together, and add a zip-tie at the base so the female jack won't be pulled away when unplugging your headphone

embase_cablee.jpg

Now just remove the metal cap that is placed under the 100Y sticker
bouchon.jpg

And place your new headphone jack instead
Installation_finie.jpg

About the wiring, I plugged the headphone jack to the second audio output of the versus kit PCB, via a long RCA cable going through the right leg of the cab.

Cablage.jpg

And there you go, audio headphone jack, for all you shmup (or late in night) players ! 8o

very nice, can you show how you wired it on the other side at the versus PCB?
Does it mute the speakers when plugged in?

Also please tell me more about the VMU reader I see in the 1st pic!

Looks great! I would like to make one for my new net city. This fake button hole seems more useful than before.

very nice, can you show how you wired it on the other side at the versus PCB?
Does it mute the speakers when plugged in?

Also please tell me more about the VMU reader I see in the 1st pic!
It is pretty simple. I use the NNC Versus PCB that includes a Video and Audio splitter.
Dreamcast_plugged.jpg

versus_pcb.jpg

Audio In: Dreamcast (or any stereo arcade system)
Audio Out 1: Setero Amplifier and main speakers
Audio Out 2: headphone jack.

The jack does not mute the speakers, I did not consider that a useful feature as I can mute them myself, or have both at once, or whatever, I have the choice.

The downside is that there is no potentiometer to set the volume, except for the one that is built in my headphones. But I guess it would totally be possible, but the wiring would be totally different than mine. This thread is mostly to show how to instal the jack cleanly, rather than about the wiring behind it.

About the VMU slot:
As I worked to import candy cabs in France, I had access to lots of cabs and parts, but this one seems pretty uncommun. I hardly found any info about it, but it is an official Sega VMU reader, designed for the NUC/NC/NNC cabinets, just like the ones included in the Cyberlead 2 cabinets.

It came with a special door piece to replace the original cap piece:
VMU_door.jpg

Behind the bezel, it looks like this. There was probably meant to be a mouting plate to mount it on the cabinet, but I don't have it so I placed it with some zip ties.

VMU-reader.jpg

The reader is wired to this small SEGA PCB via the CN3 connector. As you can see, it is capable of handling a second identical reader (but I only have one). The cool thing is that it perfectly works on Dreamcast when plugging it with a regular Dreamcast controller cable (CN1). It would require a second cord to use the second reader at the same time.

VMU-reader-PCB.jpg

It is quite a cool gadget, but I don't use it that much, as I mainly play Ikaruga on Dreamcast, and it requires the VMU to be plugged into the first slot of the first controller port, and nowhere else. So my main VMU is plugged onto my P1 DC hackpad. :D

very cool man, didn't consider the VS pcb for this kind of stuff :)

Don't want to derail your topic too much, but as you state you imported cabs that must mean you sometimes refurbished/repainted them?
I'm looking for the color code if the white used on the monitor bezel to repaint mine ;)

very cool man, didn't consider the VS pcb for this kind of stuff :)

Don't want to derail your topic too much, but as you state you imported cabs that must mean you sometimes refurbished/repainted them?
I'm looking for the color code if the white used on the monitor bezel to repaint mine ;)
I used Urki-System car paint, ref A0501. Turned yellow pieces of trash into shiny white beauties <3

15940707_1205809679500127_7700213824307727218_n.jpg

Back