What's new

pyJamma

Student
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a CPS2 multi kit which i believe was the 2nd batch, when auto reset first was introduced.
Has been working fine up until this week

Running on a Jap SF Zero 2 PCB REV4 with no battery and is using G Pal and all correct jumpers. Has been working maybe 2-3 years faultless

A couple of issues being experienced:

During various games gameplay, the game will just go to a black screen and black out, as though its being rebooted, but doesnt actually reboot - just a black screen

Can happen during intro of a game, or can happen after playing a full stage of something like Mars Matrix or 1944 etc. No specific game or specific time frame. When the issue does occur, i cant easily get the game to just boot back up again either, its like i need to play around to try and get a game booting up again - programming another game from the LCD (usually doesnt work) power cycling, disconnecting a and b boards, reconnecting them, no real pattern... it just hangs on a black screen.

When a game does finally come to life, its not long before it blacks out again

What Ive tried:
- Shorting EXC5
- Remove multi kit completely and reset to the B board very firmly, including the interconnect PCB. No pins are bent, none snapped off. No bent pins on A+B board connectors either
- Remove and resolder reset wire to SWD5
- Format SD card FAT32, re-extract all games back to the card (I still have the Avalaunch pack I first downloaded a couple years back)
- Tried removing the B board from its casing to give firmer connection to the A board
- Tested voltage at JAMMA pins with no game connected, 5.1v. I believe it slightly drops when testing when the gameboard is connected, though its limited room to really test voltage. On a SF1 board I have it shows 4.85v when testing at the game board.

Not sure if its my A board, B board or multi kit , as I don't have spare parts to swap and change

I dont suppose someone in Sydney Australia has a spare A+B board I could test my multi kit on for elimination, or if I could send it to someone to play around

anyway thanks for any input guys!

If you are at 5.1V with no board connected you will almost certainly be low once it is connected.

So voltage needs to be adjusted with the board connected and tested at the board somewhere?

cool thanks ill try that.
Ill post the result afterward hoping tomorrow
If anything else might cause this please let me know

thanks syntax
I ended up adjusting the voltage with load / gameboard connected to 5v and it seems to be working so far.
Ill continue testing ..

Thanks all

How low was it?

I think my board starts rebooting if I go below 4.7 or 4.8

Yeah it won't boot until around 4.7v so at 4.8v it would easily crash if the voltage dipped. Even a solid new PSU will fluctuate .1v or so during use.

Back