New Net City Touchup

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New Net City Touchup

Acquired this from Japan a few years back, and it already is in decent condition. However, would like to do a little bit more freshening up and cleaning. Also, need locks as they shipped the machine with duct tape to hold up the doors. The goal is to get either a Naomi or SC3: AE setup on this machine.

Current photos:

Goals:
      • Clean inside and outside
      • Goo gone the taped up area
      • Get the monitor bezel white - debating between retrobright w/ clear coat to hold it up or getting vinyl dyed?
      • Buff out the scratches on the marquee
      • Touch up paint over some of the scratches
      • Get locks
      Cabs currently own: Egret II, New Net City
      Cabs no longer owned: Mini Cute, New Astro City, Egret II, Sammy Tosh, CrossXBeats Rev. Sunrise, Jaleco Pony Mark IV
      Systems/PCB currently own: Naomi (netboot), ST-V (multi), Die Hard Arcade
      Systems/PCB no longer owned: Street Fighter II: WW, Namco System 256 w/ SC III: AE, Sega Lindbergh
    • PascalP wrote:

nice project, also make sure to get a proper CP for it ;)

btw. what is all this? My NNC doesn't have these parts;

Oh yes, I did get an alberto panel for it. :)

Looks to be a noise filter.
      Cabs no longer owned: Mini Cute, New Astro City, Egret II, Sammy Tosh, CrossXBeats Rev. Sunrise, Jaleco Pony Mark IV
      Systems/PCB no longer owned: Street Fighter II: WW, Namco System 256 w/ SC III: AE, Sega Lindbergh
    • radiantsvgun wrote:

That is odd, my NNC doesn't have it either, nor does it have that odd cage around the psu.
      The PSU looks different because it's a Lindbergh PSU not a NAOMI PSU, the lower box on the left is an AC filter, the black and white box above it I'm not sure, but it looks like a circuit breaker.

I'm guessing this cab was originally setup for Lindbergh use.
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • I would totally go with vinyl dye. I did mine a few years back and it came out fantastic. While you got the machine opened up, I highly recommend swapping in some pioneer speakers in there. There is a specific model that is a drop in replacement and they sound amazing. If you're interested, I'll dig through my Amazon orders and find the model # for the speakers.
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

radiantsvgun wrote:

That is odd, my NNC doesn't have it either, nor does it have that odd cage around the psu.
      The PSU looks different because it's a Lindbergh PSU not a NAOMI PSU, the lower box on the left is an AC filter, the black and white box above it I'm not sure, but it looks like a circuit breaker.
      I'm guessing this cab was originally setup for Lindbergh use.
      You are correct sir. Also many US cabs had the noise filter as well on original uprights.
      Q GrandAm 25 | MKII | NNC | Medieval Madness Remake | JNX SuperGun
      First Cab: Centipede (1987)
      Arcade Tech since 1994
    • PascalP wrote:

which panel did you get from Alberto?
      The man does some top quality work!
      2P12B panel
    • DecepticonZero wrote:

The model.of those speakers is "Pioneer TS-D1002R 4 inch"
      Thanks! I'll take a look into that.

A little bit of distraction trying to get this CP painted up and pre-wired while waiting for some Brook PCBs:

Got some cleaning of the rear and coin door done today, with a little bit of help from the missus to rig up something to clean that narrow spot in the back left area:

• Quick heads up as I had to dig through the interwebs and only found a post from six years ago on AO on properly removing the monitor frame.

A little bit of deception happened on my end as the cab arrived with it only having three T30 torx screws, before I even knew there were screws, with the bottom right left loose. I thought it was a pull out frame and that was not the case. I heard a crack and that's probably the bezel which means I'll either have to bondo it up or source a replacement from Yaton on eBay.

To expose the screws, you need to remove those tabs below the light and around the speaker areas. Chances are you might break the tabs into pieces, so take caution.
      Images
      • IMG_1734.jpg

562.67 kB, 2,504×1,878, viewed 107 times
    • DecepticonZero wrote:

You can get the files for 3d printed versions of these from thingiverse. @twistedsymphonymade them and they fit perfectly.
      I've got enough requests for them I'm going to be offering these for sale soon for those without access to a printer.
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

DecepticonZero wrote:

You can get the files for 3d printed versions of these from thingiverse. @twistedsymphonymade them and they fit perfectly.
      I've got enough requests for them I'm going to be offering these for sale soon for those without access to a printer.
      Count me in for 4.
    • gamenwatch wrote:

twistedsymphony wrote:

DecepticonZero wrote:

Count me in for 4.
      Yeah, I will also need 4, mine were brittle and damaged before I got the cabinet.

@OP, looking good so far, I'm really interested in how the shroud will come out.
    • Got the rest of the cleaning all that nasty gunk done including underneath the board. Soaked out some of the rusty metal parts with vinegar and baking soda. Installed new bulb.

Then I hit a snag. I over-sprayed the monitor shroud and got some runs in a couple places.

I've tried rubbing off the run with nail polish remover, but that's not working. I guess it seeps into the plastic quicker than I expected.

Given it's dye, am I screwed? I've heard of brake fluid being able to remove it, but it depends on the plastic. Worst case scenario, I can reach out to Yaton or Videotronics for a spare.

From here on in, I'll go with the professional route or at least finding a spray booth so I can have some more room to spray.

EDIT: Was able to sand down some of the rub to a somewhat smoother state.
      Images
      • IMG_1745.jpg

724.25 kB, 2,504×1,878, viewed 107 times
      • IMG_1746.jpg

561.29 kB, 2,504×1,878, viewed 104 times

The post was edited 3 times, last by gamenwatch ().