Pinned The Definitive Guide to Fixing Your CPS2 Multi Kit

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My kit has recently started giving a green screen. When it happened last i opened everything back up, checked no wires were loose and put it back together and it worked again (that was 2 days ago), but i didn't actually do anything to it. Tonight i turned on the machine to get some street fighter going and green screen again.

Instead of me stabbing in the dark what would be the best thing i should check for problems?

edit: some additional info, if I flash a new game on i get a pattern on the screen instead of solid green. If i flash a different game the pattern is a different solid screen (not moving) but changes each game.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Flain ().

• The pattern is normal while flashing a game. It should then if you have the key writing wires flash the key, reset and load the game.

If you're getting a green screen it could be a couple of things:

- EXC5 might be retaining keys, short it with a large screwdriver to confirm

- Main program ROM board isn't making good contact, check your pins, seating and it may potentially be bad sockets

- Connection between A and B boards is not making good contact (I would think this is the most likely since you noted it worked after you opened the B board, meaning you reseated the A and B)

Are you using the factory clips to hold the A and B boards together?
    • Just an update - looks like that was the initial problem. Reseated A+B and it worked sitting on the floor, wen't to put it back in the astro and i dropped the entire B board (not from very high) and then got a black screen doh!

Took it all apart, reseated everything and it's fixed.

Where did you get your clips? I've put some tight rubber bands around it not sure if that will be enough or not.
    • I get a solid green screen, and I found out why I had a friend solder the wires because I don’t know how and couldn’t bare to try. And he jacked the pad up where the key writing wiring goes for the clock the wire isn’t even soldered to it because the pad is done, all the others are soldered. So pretty much thinking I’m just going to have to purchase another darksoft Kit ‍♂️ +400 bucks wasted time to save up for another kit.
    • ThankMeNever wrote:

I get a solid green screen, and I found out why I had a friend solder the wires because I don’t know how and couldn’t bare to try. And he jacked the pad up where the key writing wiring goes for the clock the wire isn’t even soldered to it because the pad is done, all the others are soldered. So pretty much thinking I’m just going to have to purchase another darksoft Kit ‍♂️ +400 bucks wasted time to save up for another kit.

This has happened to a few people. It can be repaired without replacing the kit or you can run the decrypted ROMs without issue. Since you're in the US, contact @Mitsurugi-w

It's caused by using too hot a soldering iron and holding the iron to the pad too long. You should be tinning the wire, holding wire to pad and heating the wire. And not using the iron at 400C
    • xodaraP wrote:

ThankMeNever wrote:

I get a solid green screen, and I found out why I had a friend solder the wires because I don’t know how and couldn’t bare to try. And he jacked the pad up where the key writing wiring goes for the clock the wire isn’t even soldered to it because the pad is done, all the others are soldered. So pretty much thinking I’m just going to have to purchase another darksoft Kit ‍♂️ +400 bucks wasted time to save up for another kit.
      This has happened to a few people. It can be repaired without replacing the kit or you can run the decrypted ROMs without issue. Since you're in the US, contact @Mitsurugi-w

It's caused by using too hot a soldering iron and holding the iron to the pad too long. You should be tinning the wire, holding wire to pad and heating the wire. And not using the iron at 400C
      Helps to add solder (and optionally flux) to the pad first too.
    • Italiasr wrote:

I think anyone that is looking to do basic soldering should go check out voultars YouTube page :) he shows a lot of good techniques for basic soldering, as well as soldering more complex smd stuff.. here's a link to one of his vids about his tips and tricks to fast and proper soldering :)

this more concludent imho ...this is what the peoples must know (i start to use my solder station bought in March 2018 when i solder the key writing wires on my CPS2 Multikit in October 2018)

this is what i've done 2 weeks ago with my tools :saint: :whistling:
      Multi's: CPS2 / Taito F3 / Irem M72
      Superguns : HAS v3.1
      Scalers : OSSC v1.6 / RetroTINK-2X
      Scart switch : Gscartsw V5.2
      JNX: Spitfire
      NAC: Splitfire

My Arcade Stuff

[nes-101] [pce] [genesis] [segacd] [neogeo] [snes] [saturn] [psx] [n64] [gamecube] [dreamcast_ss]

The post was edited 3 times, last by AlxUnderBase ().

• AlxUnderBase wrote:

Italiasr wrote:

I think anyone that is looking to do basic soldering should go check out voultars YouTube page :) he shows a lot of good techniques for basic soldering, as well as soldering more complex smd stuff.. here's a link to one of his vids about his tips and tricks to fast and proper soldering :)

this more concludent imho ...this is what the peoples must know (i start to use my solder station bought in March 2018 when i solder the key writing wires on my CPS2 Multikit in October 2018)

I was actually thinking of posting that video instead, but I just liked how in the one I posted he actually explains what he's doing..

I definitely encourage anyone who isn't super confident in their soldering and wants to start to check out his channel though, not only for soldering to the pads on the CPS2 multi, but also if they want to get into modding other consoles, as well as recapping.

I'm pretty confident in my soldering, but his videos have definitely helped me to get even better :)
    • Italiasr wrote:

AlxUnderBase wrote:

Italiasr wrote:

I was actually thinking of posting that video instead, but I just liked how in the one I posted he actually explains what he's doing..

I definitely encourage anyone who isn't super confident in their soldering and wants to start to check out his channel though, not only for soldering to the pads on the CPS2 multi, but also if they want to get into modding other consoles, as well as recapping.

I'm pretty confident in my soldering, but his videos have definitely helped me to get even better :)
      I'm a big fan of Voultar. Everything i know about soldering and retro consoles mods are from him
      Multi's: CPS2 / Taito F3 / Irem M72
      Superguns : HAS v3.1
      Scalers : OSSC v1.6 / RetroTINK-2X
      Scart switch : Gscartsw V5.2
      JNX: Spitfire
      NAC: Splitfire

My Arcade Stuff

[nes-101] [pce] [genesis] [segacd] [neogeo] [snes] [saturn] [psx] [n64] [gamecube] [dreamcast_ss]
    • Hi,

I just ruined one of the key-writing pads :(. Specifically, I ruined the DATA one. Where it used to be copper, there is none anymore. I used too much heat, apparently. Is it fixable?

If not, can I still play the unencrypted version of the ROMS? Do I need to change the firmware to do so? Please don't tell me I have just sent 400 bucks to the trash T_T.