What's new

Koolhass

Student
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forums and new in the scene. I learned a lot of the amazing stuff currently going related to retro gaming, and decided to go for real hardware gaming. I bought a CPS2 SFZ 2 a+b board, and im planning to install a multi on it. Yes, the board is alive, but here in my country you can consider lucky enough to find a board to buy, no one sold me (or trade me) a suicided one. So, anyway, the thing is that i've been reading forums and websites, and i'm not sure if in the current state of the Darksoft multi firmware is needed or not to kill the board. Plus, i wanted to know if i buy and install a Infinikey, will help in any form in the installation.

Thanks for your help!!!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.

The dead board preference is redundant now in the advent of the protection method being fully reverse engineered. One can revive a suicided board with ease now. The multi will require you to remove the roms and battery from the original B board however this procedure is completely reversible thus there's no need to worry about finding an already suicided board. The moral issue of destroying an original working board is no longer valid as boards can be restored to factory spec.

Infinikey is completely unnecessary for a multi installation. The multi has this functionality built into it, in that it flashes the appropriate key each time a game is booted.

Great!!! Thanks for the fast response! I So there is no advantage to install a Infinikey. My board is a rev 7, so it seems Darsoft multi is easier to install than soldering the Infinikey...

The infinikey is for keeping your board running as an SFZ 2 only (it just eliminates the need for a battery, since it stores the games key itself).

As someone who can solder, I’d say an infinikey is a quicker and easier installation when compared to installing a ds multi. It’s not that either are hard really, but an infinikey install takes all of a minute or two.

Installing the multi is not that hard, but if you want key-writing (playing the games encrypted) that takes soldering 4 wires to small pads. If you want to run unencrypted roms then there’s no soldering, unless you want a reset wire (one solder), but even then it still takes some patience and diligence. Overall more time to install.

Kind of confusing two separate products here, each with different purposes.

The Infinikey is an awesome and simple device to keep a single game board running original encrypted roms without the need for a battery. It is easy to install.

The CPS2 multi allows you to transform a single game board into the entire CPS2 game library, via loading roms off an SD card. It isn't difficult to install but quite involved.

The two products are independent of each other and are not to be used together. In fact installing an Infinikey to a CPS2 multi will prevent the multi from working.

P.s. Unless I'm mistaken, there's absolutely no need to install a reset wire in the current version of the multi.

I’m pretty sure the new firmware sends reset through one of they key-writing wires. So if you don’t install them, and still want reset, you need to at least connect the reset wire still.

I can’t seem to quote it but it’s 1st post here -New CPS2 Multigame Firmware with Key Writing!!!!!!

Anyway I haven’t tried it, could be wrong!

That makes sense. I have the key wires installed which is why my multi resets. :)

Yeah, me to, everyone should. Epic community achievement getting all these games to run with original roms on a multi ;)

Back