What's new

RealMFnG

Legendary
Reaction score
Starting off with a video amp board I designed built around the THS7316 video amp. I find this amp's video output far exceeds the amp used on Ultimarc's J-Pac and separate Video Amp in terms of quality. Hats off to the console RGB guys out there that pioneered use of this amp. Here is some of what I hope it does:
  • AC coupled input from PC/ with DC coupled output @4.5vdc (according to the spec sheet)
  • 75Ω termination
  • H/V Sync tied together for CSync
    • No need to enable CSync when using Atom-15 or CRTEmu
  • Self powered off pin-9 on the VGA connection
My skills with PCB design are in the fledgling stage. But I am enjoying it greatly. I have litterally no engineering skills. Just putting things together from what I've researched. I have bigger plans for this, but for now, let's start with an alternative to the video connection.

PCEmu_to_Arcade.jpg

Here is a dirty soldered up version of this same circuit:

DirtyVersion.jpg

Ordering up some PCB's this weekend and will report back then if all is well.

Redesigned it so that it works with a male VGA connector, allowing it to plug right into the back of a PC. Skips the need to use a VGA cable entirely. Took a cue from @ekorz and added some custom artwork :). Still might make this smaller before sending it off to press.

PCEmu_to_Arcade.jpg

Tagged to follow :)

I have three different PCs in cabs using JAMMA set ups and im always looking for better ways to run it all.

I went to fab with this:

PCEmu-to-JAMMA_VideoBoard_v.1.2(drawing).png

PCEmu-to-JAMMA_VideoBoard_v.1.2(top).png

PCEmu-to-JAMMA_VideoBoard_v.1.2(bottom).png

• Whittled down the footprint of the board in hopes it would fit inside one of these breakout terminals, which I have lots on hand
    • Will pull the VGA headers off those breakout terminals to save some dough
  • Also, I realized that I was grounding the input in the amp incorrectly for driving DC coupled output
    • Glad I caught that before I went to press
    • Luckily, catching that mistake allowed for routing the PCB easier and allowed for a smaller footprint
Ordered 30 of these in yellow (to match the PB.JAMMA) from JLC at a cost only slightly more than what it would have cost for 3 PCB's from OSH Park. If this works out, will think of how best to interface an audio amp to the PB.JAMMA next.

"Old" topic but i am interested if you are (still ?) selling these...

It's in hiatus. I couldn't get it working. But when I do, it will be released as an open source project.

Back