What's new

notsonic

Champion
Reaction score
I just wanted to post this thread because it took me forever to find this solution even though it's been around for a while. It's even got three mentions on this forum, buried in long threads, that didn't come up in any searches. Googling for things like "map one keyboard to two gamepads" turns up no, bad, or shitty dead end results. You don't want to bother with vjoy, x360ce, videos about roblox mods. Keyboard2Xinput is all you need.

https://gitlab.com/SchwingSK/Keyboard2Xinput/-/releases

It has a really simple text config file to handle key mapping. It fully captures keyboard input when enabled to prevent double inputs or input device flopping back and forth between keyboard and gamepad for games that support both.

I recently switched from using Brook UFBs to a JVS IO and JVS-PAC 2 in my Vewlixes just for ease of use with arcade hardware. The JVS-PAC 2 keyboard inputs work great for mame and other "enthusiast" software, but each time I wanted to play a modern commercial game, I'd run into a new issue.

Tekken 7, doesn't accept keys like Ctrl, Alt, etc. as inputs. This is fixable with the JVS-PAC 2's config file, but then you deviate from the mame standard and have to rebind that stuff. There's other potential problems with Tekken too. You can't close the lobby text chat without mapping ESC since the keyboard input takes precedence the "B" button input. "Press any button" at the title screen doesn't apply to every button on the keyboard. Keyboard2Xinput solves this by separating keyboard and joypad input.

SFV is a whole other problem. First, you can't rebind start or select. The bigger issue though is that SFV only allows one player on keyboard and it's always player 1. The only solution is mapping the keyboard to two virtual gamepads and the only thing that actually works to do that is Keyboard2Xinput. x360ce does not allow you to do 1:2 mapping and all the support threads about it are dead ends. There's an open github issue to support it with no traction. Also the x360ce ui is garbage anyway.

I anticipate this will continue to be a problem with new releases so I'm glad I found Keyboard2Xinput and I hope someone out there finds this helpful.

Last edited:
Back