What's new

djsheep

Multi Boyz Overlord
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Any chance for this panel to be made @alberto1225? I believe the LS30’s will take LS-32 plates so the SS plate should hopefully mount?

Also any other parties here interested in one? Ikari isn’t really my jam.

This thread is a little old but I thought I'd chime in.

You can use an s plate from an ls-32. The problem is that the sticks are designed to be flush mounted (at least my sticks from a US Ikari Warriors are) and the S plate will leave them recessed 1/4" or so. It's totally playable but the sticks are a little short and require a lot of effort to use. If making a custom panel I think it would be best to have studs to flush mount it.

The stick hole also needs to be pretty big to accommodate the recess, shaft cover, and overall throw of the stick. I think I went with 35mm.

Here's my sticks on an Astro City panel: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/astro-city-ls-30-rotary-joystick-panel.20279/

Last edited:
Any chance for this panel to be made @alberto1225? I believe the LS30’s will take LS-32 plates so the SS plate should hopefully mount?

Also any other parties here interested in one? Ikari isn’t really my jam.
Are you asking for the artwork or physical panel? I've sent Alberto a couple spacing/measurements and had some panels done many times over (Ghox, Ikari, Arkanoid- in Sega/Taito), Loops, LS, Sanwa Analogue, etc etc. All have turned out great! For some of the stuff (Ghox, random SNK SAR, etc), I've just gotten bare panels and powder coated until I can source artwork- he should have all of the cad's for these guys ready to go!

I've the ikari custom panel (looks great) :D
1000025770.jpg

However the mounting holes in the data east rotary sticks (wico) dont fit the studs for standard sanwa sticks:
1000025773.jpg

Is there anything I can do? Maybe some kind of adapter plate for mounting it horizontal?
1000025775.jpg

The best thing you can do is find some LS30s!

Real answer, how about a washer to hold the stick on? Can you change the plate on those DE rotaries?

Plate can't be changed, but the plastic on those DE rotaries is easy enough to drill through, if you're remotely handy.

Just make a paper template of the LS 30 holes, disassemble the DE stick (only do this if you know you can reassemble...if not, find LS30's)

Then drill out the new mounting holes on that DE plastic, reassemble the joystick and mount the base to the panel, and finish out the install

I don't want to derail this, but I see LS30s mentioned a lot. Is there a reason no one is pursuing reproductions of these?

Alright, follow up -- what is the cost factor here? Is there something more complicated going on than (for example) the Hursit spinners? I'm fishing for "plastic molds", lol, but that's probably not it.

Plate can't be changed, but the plastic on those DE rotaries is easy enough to drill through, if you're remotely handy.

Just make a paper template of the LS 30 holes, disassemble the DE stick (only do this if you know you can reassemble...if not, find LS30's)

Then drill out the new mounting holes on that DE plastic, reassemble the joystick and mount the base to the panel, and finish out the install
It's great idea!

I'm going to make a custom mount to solve this problem. I think I have to check with people's rotary stick type first before making the panel now. lol
Wico plate.jpg

I don't want to derail this, but I see LS30s mentioned a lot. Is there a reason no one is pursuing reproductions of these?
IMO the fact that every supported game is a few hundred each and uncommon doesn't help. The games aren't all that sick either.

I think there was a project to get them to work with the mister. I assume mame has good support but I've never looked into it.

Alright, follow up -- what is the cost factor here? Is there something more complicated going on than (for example) the Hursit spinners? I'm fishing for "plastic molds", lol, but that's probably not it.
Injection molding at least 3 parts and it is just as complicated as "plastic molds," something the Plastic Factory should understand! :P

I think there's probably under 20 rotary games and most people are not real big fans of all of them, probably just Ikari 1, and that hasn't aged super well.

If you're going for a full rotary collection, you'll probably just buy an LS30, there are enough out there. Not like the FW spinners where one spinner was $$$$$, LS30s are just $$$.

Not that complicated if you make your own molds ;)

Good explanation on why the LS30 hasn't been done.

I did some quick looking around. It seems like there's a lot of 3d print and diy options adding a rotary dial to the end of an American stick. Seems popular in the byoac/mame world. That'd be way too deep to fit in a Japanese cabinet though.

Also after another quick search it seems mame requires the rotary output to be encoded. There's a few diy options and at least one commercial option from groovygamegear. I think an encoder approach is what was being used for the mister thing. It was on this forum somewhere.

It's too bad an encoder is necessary. If the hardware was emulated accurately, it would just be 12 buttons.

It's great idea!

I'm going to make a custom mount to solve this problem. I think I have to check with people's rotary stick type first before making the panel now. lol
Wico plate.jpg

Looks awesome, but probably not needed very often.

Still nice to have, when it is!!!

To everyone else:

Ikari, Heavy Barrel, and Time soldiers have always seemed to be the big 3, that people spent a lot of time with. They're fun, but having the boards, having the sticks, dedicating a panel, etc is a fat chunk of change by the time you get done.

I hope sincerely that the new TRS rotary stick, that's confirmed to work with mister and has an adapter plate for LS30 mounting, makes this much easier for folks going forward.

Regarding reproducing the LS30 sticks, man...just the 12 position rotary contact box alone would be a fairly involved undertaking.....let alone the rest of the stick....although the rotary box by itself, along with a new actuator and bushing, would probably restore about half the LS30's out there just fine.

Back