What's new
Okay, now that I know how it's supposed to close I can say with certainty I'm unable to get it down onto the pegs on the front side.

It looks & feels like the top part of the pegs have extra material or the material printed kinda rough and it came out oval. I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow.

The two halves do fit together without the board in them, so the supports are the right length - I just can't get the board onto the pegs. I wonder if I can lightly dremel it back into shape.

It looks & feels like the top part of the pegs have extra material or the material printed kinda rough and it came out oval.
I see what you're talking about. Hrm... I think this is an artifact of shrinkage? because all of the "ovals" are in the longer dimension axis? When I measure the dimensions of the print the horizontal shrunk to 118.35/118.6. the vertical shrunk to 58.1/58.6. So it shrunk twice as much vertically in the shorter dimension.

So they Seem to fit together fine, the piece that's supposed to fall off to accommodate the screw, I think having some kind of recessed Hole would make that easier, as when it broke off it wasn't all that level... and the fact that once is breaks off it's kind of rough (texture wise) so overall I'm very impressed it's a very cool piece to print, and I think it should fit (Waiting for my cart to ship), so that I can test it.

Note: I didn't add any supports,while in Prusa Slicer, just loaded, moved the model to the place on the bed I wanted it to print, and it went...
I did have some adhesion issues so I used a bit of glue stick, just a tiny layer, for better bed-adhesion.

Attachments

• 20220725_133320.jpg
    20220725_133320.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20220725_133309.jpg
    20220725_133309.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 78
So they Seem to fit together fine, the piece that's supposed to fall off to accommodate the screw, I think having some kind of recessed Hole would make that easier, as when it broke off it wasn't all that level... and the fact that once is breaks off it's kind of rough (texture wise) so overall I'm very impressed it's a very cool piece to print, and I think it should fit (Waiting for my cart to ship), so that I can test it.

Note: I didn't add any supports,while in Prusa Slicer, just loaded, moved the model to the place on the bed I wanted it to print, and it went...
I did have some adhesion issues so I used a bit of glue stick, just a tiny layer, for better bed-adhesion.
Yeah, it sounds like he included that bit of support in the model so that you can print the rest without supports. I like that. I found that the best way to snap out the corner support is with a straight razor. I just get it started in there and keep pushing till the whole piece pops out. the surface is rougher than the rest of the model but not too bad that way.

Success!

Dremeled off about 1mm of the excess that was causing it to look oval on each side and it fits like a glove now and is screwed in together.

Thank you for the awesome case KaPH33n & hatmoose! :thumbup: Glad the issue was identified and ya didn't need to send out another one.

The holes are 3.1mm on the "top" of the shell and 2.9mm on the "bottom" of the shell.

So an M3 6mm "button head" bolt is what I have used.

Chinese stainless is a bit soft, but its a great product for the $
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004159254843.html

You do have to screw it in quite hard, as it is essentially cutting its own thread into the bottom half of the shell.

I had the same issue with this shell... thought it was just me! Good to know. I was able to get it to fit with brute force, but was unhappy with the process it took to get there.

So if I have a couple of these printed at PCBWay or whatever, is there anything I can do to make them fit better? Or do I need to go at it with a file and remove material like Kagaden did?

I printed the original design from thingiverse by mistake 😢😢😢 although it looks good

Attachments

• 10a6510b0c96ee3f209ec1b4e9823b6e.jpeg
    10a6510b0c96ee3f209ec1b4e9823b6e.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8969.jpeg
    IMG_8969.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8973.jpeg
    IMG_8973.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 24
Back