What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
This has been a project I've wanted to do ever since I got the USB GDROM device, I hadn't had time to tackle it and I've had a few people bugging me about it so I decided to spend some of my time this weekend working on it.

Should be ready soon (the hopefully final design is printing now) Design is now done!

BUY THIS ON BIT-DISTRICT.COM

DOWNLOAD THIS ON THINGIVERSE

40349812_453505195158479_1186397549158727680_n.jpg
inside the lid you'll just see a plain flat panel

40046009_2334378893255283_7169862247521452032_n.jpg
And the HDD mounts like this , the space is super tight so only a select few SATA adapters will work, this Sabrent adapter clears (barely) but I've ordered a few other adapters to test fit.

There's no friggin room in the Dreamcast, you'll notice I had to clock the hdd to to one side, this is so it would clear the eject button, then I had to elevate the rear a few mm so it would clear the USB connector (I couldn't elevate the front to match because the top case is lower in the front.

even in this picture the next design lowers the hdd another 0.5mm (so even less clearance) because at the current height it rubs up against the top case.

hdd_clearance.jpg

Once the design is finalized I'll release the files and offer them on bit-district.com I need to work out exact pricing based on materials and print time but I estimate it will be around $20.

in the mean time if you're interested please post your interest and if you'd like a black or a white one so I can make sure I have good inventory printed.

Last edited:
I'd grab a white one!

I'll take a 1 white, 1 black.

Mike, I doubt it, but is there any clearance to fit an ssd under the lid? Or although not the easiest solution, cut part of the case give you more clearance & give you access to remove the drive??

This is designed to fit any normal sized 2.5in hdd ssd or otherwise.

I definitely wanted to allow removal of the hdd but the opening is too small. I mean if you're willing to cut up the lid you can do just about anything at that point I wouldn't even bother with a mount just cut out the whole area under the lid and leave the hdd sitting there.

Wow, this is awesome. I've been trying to find some way to fit an internal drive in mine for a couple of years now and haven't had any luck. Oddly enough, I'm pretty sure I have that exact (?) adapter, too. For sure interested in the files, possibly in a white one if I decide to be lazy.

Finally got around to printing one today. Definitely will work, but I think I'll have to do some sanding or something to get it to fit perfectly flush in my case - not sure yet. Either way, thanks much for this!

it's not designed to fit flush, it should sit "proud" by about 2mm, without doing this there would be a gap at the back and it would only be seated on 3 sides instead of all 4. I could have added a step for the back but then you'd have to support nearly the whole thing which would ruin the surface finish and look quite a bit worse than it sitting proud.

ultimately it's under the lid and will rarely be seen so...

it's not designed to fit flush, it should sit "proud" by about 2mm, without doing this there would be a gap at the back and it would only be seated on 3 sides instead of all 4. I could have added a step for the back but then you'd have to support nearly the whole thing which would ruin the surface finish and look quite a bit worse than it sitting proud.

ultimately it's under the lid and will rarely be seen so...
Sorry, poor choice of words - that's actually exactly the issue for me for whatever reason - only three sides fit (and consequently leaving a gap in the back). Basically, if you're looking from the top of the unit, the left side didn't sit in place, meaning I couldn't put the cover all the way back on without forcing it. I sanded about 2-3mm off this side and that worked for me.

To be clear, I'm sure it's something that happening during printing, not the design, though I couldn't tell exactly what just from looking at it. Unless maybe I have some stupid weird rare cover on my DC? Haha. Doubtful. Anyway, it's fine now and looks great. Now if I could just find my 2TB drive I got for this thing...To be fair, this 256GB is more than enough.

Last edited:
Back