What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
In My DDR light output project here: Dance Dance Revolution Extreme Simulation (Stepmania) with working lights.

We came up with drivers for using a modified PAC Drive to supply light output when using StepMania or OpenITG in a DDR Cab. I wanted to use the original PCB light connectors which happen to only be available as panel mounted connectors. So to keep everything nice and tidy I designed and printed a quick panel mount to hold the connectors in a similar fashion to the original PCB and help house the PAC Drive at the same time.

12071006_689174541219048_1071580145_n.jpg

The files for this aren't publicly shared anywhere, mostly because this is just a quick and dirty thing I threw together. but if you want them just let me know and I'll send 'em to you.

I am just getting into 3D printing with my Dremel 3D Ideamaker. What software do you use to make your models?

I've also been looking at some projects people created for random things and I must say there are some REALLY bright people out there when it comes to problem solving. Shit, you can even print a dildo if you wanted to. (Not a surprise actually...)

I like this for these types of things though.

I am just getting into 3D printing with my Dremel 3D Ideamaker. What software do you use to make your models?

I've also been looking at some projects people created for random things and I must say there are some REALLY bright people out there when it comes to problem solving. Shit, you can even print a dildo if you wanted to. (Not a surprise actually...)

I like this for these types of things though.
I use SolidWorks, but I also have access to a license through my work. I tried out FreeCAD which wasn't bad. if Solidworks is photoshop then FreeCAD would be paint.net

Unlike 2D photo and imaging software I've found that nearly ever 3D package works completely different in the way you build models... so try a bunch out and see which one makes the most sense for your brain. I've also been using Solidworks off and on for school and then work over the last 15 years so being that's what I was brought up on other packages don't really click with me.

Gotcha. I'll see how it goes. How would you rate the learning curve for newbies beginning with 3D modeling? Any more advice?

Gotcha. I'll see how it goes. How would you rate the learning curve for newbies beginning with 3D modeling? Any more advice?
at least when it comes to CAD style modeling you're generally thinking about making a 2D sketch and then either "extruding" that sketch or "revolving" that sketch around an axis.

So for instance if you draw a square and extrude that you'd end up with a cube or a block, but if you revolved that square using one side as an axis then you'd end up with a disc or a cylinder. or if you revolved it around an axis further away from one of the sides you'd end up with something shaped like washer.

you can also make "extrude" cuts and "revolve" cuts which is the same thing but but subtracts material from your model.

obviously you can make 2D sketches of much more complex shapes but whenever you're designing something you'll probably want to think about breaking it down to a series of extrudes and revolves.

Once you've mastered that you can get into patterns such as linear patterns or circular patterns where you can make a series of holes or even a series of "features", along a path or around an axis. this also includes mirroring features across an axis.

then once you've mastered that you can get into lofts, which basically allows you to make two sketches offset from each other and then make a shape that morphs from one sketch to the other... or even a series of sketches where it morphs from one to the next to the next.

I don't know how much code you write but I look at 3D modeling in the same way, you break it down mentally into small pieces and make them one at a time... it can vary from model to model but a lot of times your first step is creating a large shape and then the rest of the steps are chipping away at that until you get all the detail you're looking for.

If you end up picking up solidworks let me know and I can send you a file or two and you'll be able to see all the steps I took to create the model.

Back