What's new

marcburd

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've started making a Genesis / Mega Drive 6 Buttons to Supergun adapter.
Still in early stages but I'm already able to read all buttons from a wireless 8Bitdo M30 2.4g (including the Home and Star buttons which didn't exist in the original Sega controller).

I'm using an ATMEGA328PB (for instance my proto is made on a ATmega328PB-XMINI).

545441E7-86F5-4EEB-A2E5-F24349C4468D.JPG

F0A8F309-9FF3-4C8C-ACFB-220EC60F3576.JPG

I'm still at early stages, it will take me some time to finish my code, test everything and design a proper PCB.

If @Frank_fjs stops selling his MD2NEO converter I will share my PCB design and HEX to everyone (I don't want to ruin anyone's business with my work).

Cheers

Last edited:
@Raph_friend Did you make a Mega Drive adapter? The M30 2.4Ghz is a wireless DB9 dongle.

Looks very cool.

r2tronik sells a mega drive/genesis to DB15 adapter (with and without turbo).

https://www.r2tronik.com/en/

I use the turbo version with my m30 genesis controller and it works very well.
Thanks a lot!!

I have a r2tronik Playstation to DB15 adapter.

The problem I have with their adapters (at least the Megadrive/genesis and the Playstation) is that the output pinout doesn't follow UD Pinout and thus they don't work properly on a 6 button configuration if you are using the HAS or Minigun superguns.

You can check USB2DB15 project as well.
that's a great project!!! I've been following your work on it and it's awesome. Your work is clearly at another league compared to mine.

I've wanted to make my own and use the 8Bitdo M30 2.4g as they are pretty reliable and readily available everywhere for cheap.

Once I'm done with a first version I intent to open source my work and share all files / schematics with the community so everyone can have a good open-source alternative for mega drive / genesis controllers.

If you are being sincere, thank you, but please, read the documentation or the PIC that i did post here.

USB2DB15 supports wired and wireless via 8bitdo BT adapter.

@marcburd thanks friend, i will love if you can help on USB2DB15 with your progress.

I believe the 2.4GHz is very low lag. USB introduces a lot of lag for the M30 which is why so many people actively hunt the Mega Drive adapters.

Anyhows, not sure how this thread got hijacked. Looking forward to your solution @marcburd — my adapter is very temperamental lately and keen to see what you come up with.

Thanks a lot!!

I have a r2tronik Playstation to DB15 adapter.

The problem I have with their adapters (at least the Megadrive/genesis and the Playstation) is that the output pinout doesn't follow UD Pinout and thus they don't work properly on a 6 button configuration if you are using the HAS or Minigun superguns.
This is correct. Only 5 of the 6 buttons will work. But there is an easy fix.

You just need to jump 2 of the solder points on the bottom of the minigun or the adapter pcb. They are right next to each other and very easy to do.

i have 5 or 6 of the r2tronik adapters, so it was easier to modify my minigun.

you can see the jumped solder points for the pins at the top of the pcb.

IMG_20210519_081658786.jpg

It's been so long that I actually forgot this was an issue.

It's probably not an issue if a kick harness is not required as I believe the problem is with button 5. My memory is a little fuzzy on that.

Hey @marcburd — desperately in need of a Neo2MD solution for the M30. Any idea if this project will ever see the light of day.

Hi @djsheep

I'm happy to see that there is interest in this project !!
Due to some personnal reasons I had to put this project on hold (changed jobs, had 2 kids and moved to a new home...) but I'll get back to it early next year.
The microcontroller code is almost ready, I just need to optimize it a bit and draw the PCB.

The latency should be very low (as low as the M30's or the original wired mega drive controllers will allow), I'll try to estimated it once the code will be completed.

Thanks for the reply @marcburd — there’s definitely interest in these I think.

The functionality missing from other adapters available on the market right now is that the Home button on the M30 (-) doesn’t coin up.

Also the L and R trigger don’t trigger HP/HK (B3/B6).

I’ve been eager to get these for Supergun use as the native MD M30 is possibly the greatest modern game pad out there.

Congrats on the job / life moves and look forward to hearing some progress when the times right for you.

Cheers.

Hey @djsheep , I realize this isn't the best solution, but since I added DaemonBite MD support to USB2DB15, this is how I use the M30 2.4g. Lag of around 4ms.
IMG_20221231_004123233.jpg

Back