What's new

Slyelessar

Beginner
Reaction score
My sincerest apologies if there is a another thread that has covered this. I finally have my AES Darksoft up and running - woot woot.

Current settings for my AES darksoft: MVS > Japanese mode > any game.

How do I pause the game in this mode? I recall the original MVS you had to select DIP8. I have tried start and select on my Neo Hori controller, but to no avail. Is there a particular trick?

I’m sure if there’s a better way - one that doesn’t involve any work, then someone will let you know.

I honestly don’t know if it’s possible or not, I wasn’t able to when I first got my cart. Since then, I’ve installed a UniBIOS and one of my favourite things about that is you can just hit Select and Start anytime during gameplay, even in MVS mode, to bring up its menu, which also handily pauses the game.

If there’s no other way then it may be an option. If you’re lucky enough to have a socketed BIOS chip then it’s a 5 minute job to do. If not, I’d recommend having it done professionally, unless you’re handy with a soldering iron.

I’m sure if there’s a better way - one that doesn’t involve any work, then someone will let you know.

I honestly don’t know if it’s possible or not, I wasn’t able to when I first got my cart. Since then, I’ve installed a UniBIOS and one of my favourite things about that is you can just hit Select and Start anytime during gameplay, even in MVS mode, to bring up its menu, which also handily pauses the game.

If there’s no other way then it may be an option. If you’re lucky enough to have a socketed BIOS chip then it’s a 5 minute job to do. If not, I’d recommend having it done professionally, unless you’re handy with a soldering iron.
Hi, Yeah I think at some point that may be a good option.

I thought that being that you can set the cartridge settings to MVS, there would be a way to change level, add credits, and pause the games.

Only one game have I managed to pause it. Does this mean it is game specific?

Well a lot of the options, level, blood, so on, for the games can be set in the Game Configuration in the Main Menu (after running the game once,) which you’ll already know because it’s hard to miss :D

Other than that I’m not sure, I’d have to dig out my original bios so that the UniBIOS doesn’t interfere. But you’re right in your original post, if you can access soft dips, then switching 8 should freeze the game.

Regardless of dip settings, I’d definitely recommend checking your motherboard to see if your BIOS is socketed. The UniBIOS is a great addition as far as I’m concerned. I have trouble with the Game Configuration menu (maybe because it’s an AES cart? god knows,) but the UniBIOS let’s me change those settings perfectly. Plus there’s cheats - which, ok, I generally don’t like to cheat, I’d rather play and git gud, as I believe the kids say :D but every now and again I could do with a few extra lives ;)

If the Darksoft multi doesn't have an in-game menu, then install the Unibios so you can pull up the Unibios menu to pause while in MVS mode.

Back