What's new

Derick2k

Immortal
Reaction score
So decided to put together a VGA to Scart adapter.

Sync Combiner - TTL or Scart Safe
Display Impedance - 75 Ohm/High
Blanking Circuit runs off pin 9 on vga via an LDO (optional - not needed)
Audio In via 3.5mm jack

You can probably get these put together for about $4 from JLCPB with all smd components soldered.

1649083402458.png
1649083418383.png

If there is any interest I will post up the files for it.

Last edited:
Yessir! I have the connectors ready to and am brewing an order for several other PCB projects.
Cool, Ill double-check the spacing between the VGA dsub and the headphone jack to make sure there is enough clearance and post up the files.

If you dont need the blanking circuit you can omit these components

1649085622393.png
1649085641096.png

off topic... do you know if there is a VGA to DVI-A adapter?

I have a pinout for it that should work, but I have never tested it so...I would have to look up the specs.

But there should be some cheap adapters that already do this readily available I would think.

Here is a quick pcb for what you want

1649093789882.png
1649093577535.png

I attached the files, if you want to try it at your own risk since I haven't tested it :whistling:
You will have to cut off pins 22,23,24 from the dvi connector though.

Attachments

• Gerber_PCB_VGA to DVI-A_2022-04-04.zip
    24.8 KB · Views: 91
  • BOM_PCB_VGA to DVI-A_2022-04-04.zip
    466 bytes · Views: 93
Ok, Im happy with these, everything checks out. I will order a few to test it out, if anyone is interested in getting one let me know. They will be assembled, minus the scart connector.

Once its tested I will release the files so anyone can make them.

1649297837635.png
1649297786373.png

I'd like to give one of these a try with the Jammafier+Tri Sync Helper.
Reason being I want the low pass filtering of the SCART port on the OSSC, but I don't want to switch this (I have two) Jammafier over to a +Jassifier combo...
As this is the one I use for Taito F3, I just want a quick swap option in the form of a VGA cable outfitted with the adapter.

However because of my case use scenario, I'm only looking to adapt the VGA pins into SCART pins.
  • No Audio input needed (comes directly from Jammafier into cab amp or game board into cab amp).
  • No sync combiner needed (sync is already composited on pin 13).
  • No blanking (again everything is fine from the TSH, I only need the proper connector change).
Rather then tinker with your design, I'll just have it printed and solder in jumps to bypass all the component sections.

Reason being I want the low pass filtering of the SCART port on the OSSC, but I don't want to switch this (I have two) Jammafier over to a +Jassifier combo...
As this is the one I use for Taito F3, I just want a quick swap option in the form of a VGA cable outfitted with the adapter.

However because of my case use scenario, I'm only looking to adapt the VGA pins into SCART pins.
  • No Audio input needed (comes directly from Jammafier into cab amp or game board into cab amp).
  • No blanking (again everything is fine from the TSH, I only need the proper connector change).
Rather then tinker with your design, I'll just have it printed and solder in jumps to bypass all the component sections.
Here you go
1649307045264.png
1649307070346.png

Gerber
Schematic
Double-check if that's how you wanted it

Attachments

• Gerber_NEW_PCB.zip
    113.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Schematic_VGA-2-SCART for Jassin_2022-04-07.pdf
    84.2 KB · Views: 117

I'm not 100% I understand, but be aware that the TSH outputs sync at TTL/5V levels, which the OSSC will not be happy to receive on the scart port.

be aware that the TSH outputs sync at TTL/5V levels, which the OSSC will not be happy to receive on the scart port.
Oh thanks Zim... I guess using D's OG design would have been better to populate the TTL/75 section.

Not to harp on it, but have you considered an official device that outputs SCART spec/connector?
I can understand the reasons around OSSC's VGA port.
As the Retrotink 5x has shown, SCART is still the preferred flavor (not VGA) moving into the future, and unlike OSSC...
Tink has zero issues with F3 via SCART. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not 100% I understand, but be aware that the TSH outputs sync at TTL/5V levels, which the OSSC will not be happy to receive on the scart port.
Thanks for info brother, much appreciated, so for Jassin's case, he would need to add a 470ohm resistor on the sync line?!

@jassin000

If you want to give it a try, just added option to install a resistor
1649350690473.png

Attachments

• Gerber_NEW_PCB VGA-2-SCART JASSIN000.zip
    116.9 KB · Views: 69
Oh thanks Zim... I guess using D's OG design would have been better to populate the TTL/75 section.

Not to harp on it, but have you considered an official device that outputs SCART spec/connector?
I can understand the reasons around OSSC's VGA port.
As the Retrotink 5x has shown, SCART is still the preferred flavor (not VGA) moving into the future, and unlike OSSC...
Tink has zero issues with F3 via SCART. ;)
Scart is a PITA, hard to source and every damn one of them has something inside them that you don't know about :)

I tested the 5X with this cable https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/analogue-nt-mini-rgb-scart-cable-packapunch and the RGB and sync lines were OK and within spec (with the TSH).

So decided to put together a VGA to Scart adapter.

Sync Combiner - TTL or Scart Safe
Display Impedance - 75 Ohm/High
Blanking Circuit runs off pin 9 on vga via an LDO (optional - not needed)
Audio In via 3.5mm jack

You can probably get these put together for about $4 from JLCPB with all smd components soldered.

1649083402458.png
1649083418383.png

If there is any interest I will post up the files for it.
You're a saint my bro!!

Scart is a PITA, hard to source and every damn one of them has something inside them that you don't know about :)

I tested the 5X with this cable https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/analogue-nt-mini-rgb-scart-cable-packapunch and the RGB and sync lines were OK and within spec (with the TSH).
Yup, not only is the connector huge, but the male right angle PCB mount connector is unobtainable. The cables/head are huge as well. I for one hate it, but its what is still in use in a lot of the devices in the retro gaming scene.

I would have rather use an HDMI or displayport connector, but then people would get confused and plug their stuff to the wrong things and probably mess them up/damage things.

The cables/head are huge as well. I for one hate it, but its what is still in use in a lot of the devices in the retro gaming scene.
I agree with all of this 100%... So why when I suggested 8pin mini din did everyone popo it?
We've got three "main stream" devices that all support it.
  • xRGB Mini
  • Tim's RGB NES Kit (assuming you don't use the 3D printed multi-out)
  • HAS Supergun
And and we have a handful of pre-made cables and adapters for 8pin to SCART.
And and and, because its NOT 9pin mini din (aka Genesis 2) these cables totally lack components.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possible to make a DVI to scart with the sync switch, instead of using an adapter. There are a few mods that use DVI and can output VGA or RGB.

Back