What's new

buffi

Champion
Reaction score
Apparently it's quite simple to get Aleck64 games running on a N64, but that got me wondering... would the other way around work as well?

Basically, would it be possible to make Aleck64 conversions with N64 game roms to have Jamma enabled N64 games?
Dunno why I'd want that, but now I'm curious!

System for those that don't know:
https://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=816

@twistedsymphony @rewrite @Cereth @buffi

Breaking off from the Recent Purchases thread; remembered seeing that buffi made this thread

how about cart conversions?
In summary, no, conversions are not really possible. There are maybe 6 or 7 different cartridge types, but the regular non-mahjong games are found on two cart types. Most of the games each have their own unique N64 maskrom which would have to be replaced with CPLD/FPGA+FLASH memory so a new pcb would make a lot more sense.

I had looked into making some custom carts, had the 5101 CIC chip decapped and mikeryan solved how to create a replacement. One of the cart types also uses a fpga, but before I could finish solving that I had already collected all the Aleck64 games so abandoned solving the fpga logic.

Perhaps this is something I would pursue again in the future if I can get my hands on one of the prototype cartridges. I've been trying to get my hands on a Variant Schwanzer proto for years now; it will happen at some point :)

IMG_0467.JPG

11beat-cartridge-pcb.jpg

Perhaps this is something I would pursue again in the future if I can get my hands on one of the prototype cartridges. I've been trying to get my hands on a Variant Schwanzer proto for years now; it will happen at some point :)
I'm sure you're aware but it looks like @ShouTime has one according to this page:

https://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Variant_Schwanzer

Hadn't heard of this title before, but it looks interesting! There's an hour long game play video on YouTube too.

Hi : all

Let me know if you ever get this off the ground. I am mainly interested in arcade hardware.

Kind regards
Euphoria
:)

Back