What's new

skate323k137

Enlightened
Reaction score
I've been building more hobbyist projects lately, and wanted to share this one here. Full gallery of pics: https://imgur.com/gallery/zJUsLMA

vnSOoOx.jpg

In addition to building this clone, I also had the pleasure of being the first to test the P-LAB MicroSD card expansion on this type of Apple 1 clone.

The Apple 1 is a 6502 based computer, of which very few originals still exist. One is on eBay right now, with bidding already into six figures. While I prefer to own original hardware in most cases, I came to the same conclusion as the designer of this clone: that an original would almost certainly always be out of reach.

Building one of these is an experience akin to 1970's computing. Greeted only with the prompt for the "Woz Monitor," to do much of anything with this machine requires patience and learning.

Woz himself assembled BASIC on paper; he quite literally hand compiled basic for the 6502, and then could punch it in byte by byte. Once the interpreter was loaded, you could then input BASIC programs. The Apple1 also had a cassette interface for loading programs, which was later built into computers like the Apple IIe.

The Briel kit has BASIC in ROM, as well as Krusader Assembler. To load a program without typing it yourself, you can attach a USB to Serial adapter and establish a terminal from a modern computer. Sending a text file over the terminal is painfully slow, but none the less, you can load a program. The speed, for those unfortunate enough to remember, is about equal to a 300 baud modem.

The P-LAB card was a complete game changer. Once you enter it's operating system, you have a prompt with backspace support (Believe it or not, this was not always a thing) as well as persistent storage. A BASIC program that could take 30-300 seconds to load over a serial or tape method takes only a couple of seconds.

If you are interested in learning computer science, soldering, programming, or any combination of the above, I can't recommend enough building one of these. It's a very special experience.

Thanks in part to my testing on the Briel, the creators of the P-LAB card also obtained/built a Briel replica, and have been testing their card on it now directly. More information is here https://www.applefritter.com/content/micro-sd-storage-card

Video from P-LAB of the card in action:
View: https://youtu.be/LUeatmkS6_w

Nice!

I'm in the middle of multiple builds: The expansion unit & SD drive for a SYM-1, a Leningrad 48K, a Z80 based computer by Sergey, a KIM-1 clone, and the Apple Replica 1 (clone of the original)...

I just finished the Jair PCB and the S-100 backplane last week and need to load up the SD card and hook up a power supply for a first power up.

I'm also working on some Eurorack Synthesizer modules. I have to troubleshoot the Hagiwo Diode Ladder VCF I just finished and I'm waiting on parts for the Dual VCA. A longer term project it the Plaits 0603 module. I have everything for it except the freakin' CPU which is backordered until the end of next year - STM32F373CCT6

Parts are the hard part. I need the 2503 and 2519 shift registers for the Apple I, a bridge board and a couple of odd value caps for the KIM-1 clone, and a DS1210 for the Z80 by Sergey, The remaining parts have been installed on the SYM-1 expansion unit and I'm about to wire up the SD2IEC drive and then program the EEPROM for it. The Dual VCA module's parts are on order - nothing special there. The Leningrad 48K needs 2 EPROMs and a +5v power connection. I'm about to finish it up and give it the intial power on smoke test. :)

RJ

80 Columns, on an Apple 1 Clone? It's more likely thank you think! (Ok, Ok, the video terminal section is essentially replaced with a serial terminal, but it's fun and looks spiffy).

nYwWpGG.jpg

The increased speed of the video terminal allows the WiFi modem to be cranked from 600 to 9600 baud :D

r4ictlQ.jpg

Rest of the photos:

https://imgur.com/a/XEol9TS

Vince will be coming to VCF Southwest in Dallas and doing a build lab for his Pocket Terminal PCB. You can solder together the kit in the lab at VCFSW under his guidance. :)

Nice! I wish I could find those damn 8-pin FIFO chips for less than an arm and a leg...
No kidding...

I know I don't need to tell you how bad chip scalping is. With this in particular, people have definitely been hoarding/hiking the price on any IC used in Apple 1. A forum member on AppleFritter assembled a bunch of complete IC kits (all the ICs, as well as period correct resistors/capacitors and some other parts). He would/will only sell complete kits to Apple 1 builders because of this. When he was assembling the kits I'm sure there were numerous times he had to buy out an entire stock of an obsolete part or other crazy terms. I can't see it being reasonably possible to build one of these for a sane price much longer :(

Back