What's new
I’m glad you found my write up useful. I’ve actually learned a lot more about calibration since I wrote that up, so I’ll post an update soon that might help you flatten out your gamma curve.

The Neo Geo 240P Test Suite doesn’t have the gamma problem that the SNES does.

Good job on your white balance results - they look great! :thumbsup:

I would just like to point out that the ABL trimmer, present on MS9 and more recent chassis, should always be positioned at maximum, anti-clockwise, otherwise it will limit the electronic beam current and on the brightest scenarios it will cut the general brightness, it will limit the flashes when the white is full screen. If the tube is in good health, blooming will still not be perceptible or moderate.
For calibration I never use the mister with mistercade, it is simply not reliable, I prefer a mvs base with bios 4.0, there are color bars and grids patterns or a cps2.

I would just like to point out that the ABL trimmer, present on MS9 and more recent chassis, should always be positioned at maximum, anti-clockwise, otherwise it will limit the electronic beam current and on the brightest scenarios it will cut the general brightness, it will limit the flashes when the white is full screen. If the tube is in good health, blooming will still not be perceptible or moderate.
For calibration I never use the mister with mistercade, it is simply not reliable, I prefer a mvs base with bios 4.0, there are color bars and grids patterns or a cps2.
Do you know if the Hitachi GMK-29FS2 (Neo Candy 29, etc) has this pot?

Gmk29 , ms8 29 not have this pot
Thanks for the reply. My Neo Candy 29 with the GMK chassis definitely has some sort of ABL happening, but I could never figure out why. If anyone has insight, I'd be grateful.

I’m not sure what you mean by a MiSTer not being reliable, but neither MVS or CPS2 have the correct Rec 601 IRE test patterns for an accurate white level calibration with a colorimeter.

For generalized “eyeballing” it calibration without a colorimeter though then yes, those test patterns are fine.

I’m not sure what you mean by a MiSTer not being reliable, but neither MVS or CPS2 have the correct Rec 601 IRE test patterns for an accurate white level calibration with a colorimeter.

For generalized “eyeballing” it calibration without a colorimeter though then yes, those test patterns are fine.
And how about using a computer, with one arcadevga card or a hd5450 running crt emudrivers?

And how about using a computer, with one arcadevga card or a hd5450 running crt emudrivers?

Sure, as long as you can run an IRE pattern generator like the 240P Test Suite through emulation, and the emulator isn’t doing anything to post-process the pixels.

Back