What's new

frosty

Student
Reaction score
Had my monitor (MS9-29) out of my Astro City cabinet today to do some finer adjustments on geometry etc.

All went as planned, but stupidly forgot to reattach the anode cup to the monitor before plugging it back in!

Cue sparks and smoke - looked like it was coming from around the Jamma connector. Thankfully my Mistercade seems to have survived, however I’m unsure what I’ve damaged here.

Not taken the PSU out to check properly but sounds like still power getting to the monitor (can hear the static etc. when powering on) and the fuses in the power supply and on the monitor chassis are still intact, but getting no image.

Have I fried something in the harness itself?

Not got a lot of experience, other than replacing capacitors, so would appreciate any help on things to check over first

Thanks!

Likelier that you have blown something on the chassis. If you plug in a board (something other than the Mistercade preferably), does it play blind?

Likelier that you have blown something on the chassis. If you plug in a board (something other than the Mistercade preferably), does it play blind?

Got rid of the couple of PCBs I had to fund the Mistercade, unfortunately

There’s a definite burnt smell around the Jamma edge on the Mistercade itself, however I’ve plugged it into my other cabinet and it’s working properly.

I’ll plug the speakers back in and see if get any sound and report back!

Last edited:
The anode probably shorted to chassis ground and video ground is connected to it.

The anode probably shorted to chassis ground and video ground is connected to it.

Thanks for your help here

So, if I still get sound when so plug in the Mistercade (won’t be able to check for a couple of days now), what would you reckon are the first things I should look at on the chassis itself?

Start with a visual inspection. Look for any damaged or burned components.

Just looking back at some photos I took earlier - chassis is a little grubby, but looks suspiciously like scorch marks underneath the flyback….

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpeg
    IMG_0021.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 56
Quick update on this - Gunblade kindly helped me out with this on the UKVAC forums - turned out it was the fuse inside the Astro 400 5198 power supply (the one that’s soldered directly to the board) that had blown

Power was getting to the monitor but nothing to the Jamma connector

After replacing that fuse - back in business!

Thanks everyone on here for their suggestions - appreciate it

Back