What's new

frosty

Student
Reaction score
Hello

First time with a 'project' cab here.

Wiring was a mess so have been gradually putting things back together (although I have extremely limited knowledge of all things electrical!)

Went to test the power supply last night and getting no readings back whatsoever

Here’s what I’ve done so far:

Image 1 - Replaced the original 2 prong plug with a 3 prong grounded one. Green circle indicates where ground wire was wired to, Black circle for Live and White circle for neutral

Image 2 - Ignoring the fact that the live and neutral wires aren’t connected to the power switch/noise filter in the image (they are, but weren’t when I took the picture!), I’ve noticed that it’s going through some sort of transformer, before reaching the 3 pin JST connector which ultimately plugs into the AC in socket on the power supply

Image 3 - Yellow circle indicates where I’ve plugged the JST into the power supply and green circles indicate where I’ve been testing with my multimeter

The questions I have are:
  1. Does my new plug wiring look correct?
  2. Do I actually need the transformer? I’m in the UK which uses 240v, but already using an external step down transformer to bring it down to the required 100v
  3. does the transformer in the picture perform some other kind of function that I’m not aware of?
  4. Any other questions or advice you can give me before I attempt to recap the power supply?
As I said, any help would be much appreciated - don’t have much electrical knowledge, but willing to learn!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 500DBC44-4173-4AC9-85FD-A26D3E6AF10C.jpeg
    500DBC44-4173-4AC9-85FD-A26D3E6AF10C.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 37FAEFC8-57C2-447C-AC0C-5002258251C7.jpeg
    37FAEFC8-57C2-447C-AC0C-5002258251C7.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 131
  • D30023FC-7AC7-4C1C-81AA-FF10ECB89387.jpeg
    D30023FC-7AC7-4C1C-81AA-FF10ECB89387.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 133
Think this is now sorted

Recapped the power supply and still dead.

Removed the transformer and…it’s alive!

Still need to make sure I don’t actually need it though - think it’s some form of monitor isolation transformer. I’m swapping out the monitor that’s in it for a MS9-29A, so hoping it’ll be ok without it

I guess you got your Astro from China? The transformer is a 220V to 110V stepdown. If you already use an external one, it needs to be disconnected.

MS9s do not need an isolation transformer.

So yeah, you're good to go.

I guess you got your Astro from China? The transformer is a 220V to 110V stepdown. If you already use an external one, it needs to be disconnected.

MS9s do not need an isolation transformer.

So yeah, you're good to go.

Not sure - came from someone else in the UK, who had imported it years ago with the intention of restoring, but never got round to it. So yeah, could have been China! - wouldn’t make any sense to have had that in place for Japan….

Thanks for your help 👍

Reactions: nem
Back