What's new

Anselmo

Champion
Reaction score
My friend's Astro was losing a lot of voltage under load, causing his games to not run well. I figured we would start at a recap and go from there.

Once we got the PSU out, it was evident that it was problematic. Several caps had cracked solder joints and im sure were not making contact. The coil had melted off the piece it loops around. Can anyone help me figure out how to find a replacement coil? Do they have values I need to be aware of ?

After the recap, the psu still works, and the new caps solved the voltage drop issue. However I told him not to run it at all until this coil gets replaced.

What it's supposed to look like:
SmartSelect_20210727-221321_Discord.jpg

What it looks like:

20210727_153525.jpg
20210727_162133.jpg

It is/was an inductor, you were right to tell him not to run it the voltages are going to be unstable with load variation.

You'll need to check a schematic for your model of PSU or failing that get someone to measure one, i'm at work at the min so i cant do too much but there are some schematics here

https://segamadebaddecisions.wordpress.com/2016/11/22/negative-problems-astro-city-5v-supply-issues/

at a quick glance doesn't look like L3 is on there though.Edit yes it is. Which PSU model is it, as in the sega model/part number.

Last edited:
Thanks for the note - It's a 400-5198-01X model -

One of the schematics is for 400-5198-01Y? L3 is actually on there , is that 330560 above it? i'm sure someone else will be able to chip in with some useful info soon.

Back