What's new
That RF2 is def bootleg.

EDIT: Rumble Fish 1 from the same seller is genuine. That's what a legit PCB looks like.

From Assembler Games. These are the common serials for bootleg Atomiswave games:

Demolish Fist (2003) - 0601236 (Note : The original has a holographic sticker on it...)
Dolphin Blue (2003) - 0701200 (Note : The original has a holographic sticker on it...)
Fist of the Northstar (2005) - 3400167
Guilty Gear Isuka (2004) - 1100342 (Note : The original has a holographic sticker on it)
King of Fighters Neo Wave (2004) - 1702036 (Note : The original has a holographic sticker on it)
King of Fighters XI (2005) - 3200964
Knights of Valour (2004) - 0901669 (Note : The original has a holographic sticker on it)
Metal Slug 6 (2006)- 3500510
Neo Geo Battle Coliseum (2005) - 1702636
The Rumble Fish (2004) - 1401163 (Note : The original has a holographic sticker on it)
Samurai Shodown 6 (2005) - 3000086

The first thing you should look at is the corners of the label. Original carts have rounded corners on the label.
square cut = definitely bootleg
round cut = maybe original or maybe a bootleg with a high quality label

the second thing you should look at is the center of the sticker; do you notice a dip like there is a cut out in the plastic under the sticker? Original Carts have perfectly smooth surfaces below the label, while bootlegs often have a ~1cm diameter divit in the center under the lable
dip = definitely bootleg
no dip = inconclusive

There are some bootlegs that have very high quality plastic shells and labels, but they're pretty uncommon... 90% of bootlegs are detectable with the above two tests.

the most conclusive way to determine originality is to take apart the cart and look at the PCB. it becomes pretty obvious at that point.

the game in the original post has a high quality label with rounded corners, pictures are too shitty to notice a divit in the plastic, but the PCB pic is 100% bootleg.

I was definitely naive to how much the AW has been bootlegged, and wouldn't have that Rumble Fish 2 of all games would've been bootlegged!

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of any AW bootlegs they've played?

All of the ones I’ve played work great. I’ve heard samurai shodown 6 ones aren’t good but the rest should play identical to originals

Wow, his Dolphin Blue is up to $810... I may have to eBay mine!
That’s crazy! These carts were selling on eBay for $600-700 just weeks ago.

Edit: You should totally list your DB; the bootlegs are going for $1K that means an original is at least that, no?

Last edited:
That’s crazy! These carts were selling on eBay for $600-700 just weeks ago.

Edit: You should totally list your DB; the bootlegs are going for $1K that means an original is at least that, no?
Well, not to besmirch this seller, his DB is defiantly a legit one. Not a bootleg. Looking at his other carts, I think only that RF2 is a boot and he might not realize it as the label is a real one. Possibly switched at some point.

Also, he does very good pictures for eBay. Outside from multiple angles AND pics of the PCB. Not sure what else a buyer would want.

Contact SheepNova (Simon) for bootleg or original carts. His prices are still fairly decent compared to eBay. Bootlegs have gone up in price but I wouldn't pay anything ridiculous.

I also remember when Atomiswave boots were dirt cheap on AE. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a boot. Depending on the popularity of the game, they typically run from $50-100.

The last time I purchased a boot was almost 2 years ago. So things might have changed slightly.

@twistedsymphony already covered this. Dang, I was excited for a second!

I think if you just want to check out all these AW at this point is to get a Dreamcast and play the conversions or try them on a Naomi. Or, I guess emulation, although I'm not sure of the status.

I was definitely naive to how much the AW has been bootlegged, and wouldn't have that Rumble Fish 2 of all games would've been bootlegged!

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of any AW bootlegs they've played?
I have a metal slug 6 bootleg and it plays perfect, as far as I can tell.

I love it.

Back