What's new

MrTanuki

Student
Reaction score
Hey everyone, like the title states is their an existing design/3d model for an Atomsiwave pcb shell? I was about to begin designing one when I figured I should probably see if its been done already, in an effort to not waste time. If it hasn't, Ill try to knock it out in the next day or so and post it on here. I really don't want to buy boots just to get a shell for my spare pcbs.

You mean like game cart shells?
Guess you could ask @brizzo

Now let's get to the real hype, some photos of the reproduction cartridges 8o

IMG_6466.JPG

IMG_6483.JPG

Let me know what you guys think of these so far. There are going to be more prototype games, not just the ones shown here today :thumbsup:

Yeah I have seen those pics floating around. They appear to be molded parts. Seems like every time an Atomiswave is mentioned, brizzo is the path to an answer lol. For that reason alone I was trying to avoid hitting him up and adding to his inbox. F it, I wanna make some more oddball shells anyways. I will just go ahead and make an stl for the shells in the next day or so. Ill make a close to orginal one as well as some variations.

I modeled one a while back, it's not 100% accurate because I made the design more 3D printer friendly, I can upload to thingiverse later tonight if you'd like.

I've never done a test print/fit with it so no guarantees :P

I modeled one a while back, it's not 100% accurate because I made the design more 3D printer friendly, I can upload to thingiverse later tonight if you'd like.

I've never done a test print/fit with it so no guarantees :P
That would be great! Thanks much.

Here's where I'm at thus far. My standoffs inside the shell are about .25-.5mm off in various and confusing directions. Not quite sure how I pulled that off. Height of board and shell is good. So I will adjust the mounting standoffs and then add the square locating keys on the sides of the cart. Then add the 2 cutout indents on the top brim of cart. Then we should be good to go. I really want to make different 3d "labels" that can go on top.

Attachments

• cart1.png
    cart1.png
    821.4 KB · Views: 231
Great work, @MrTanuki! You just contemplated the project a few hours ago and you're already this close to wrapping it up...impressive.

Great work, @MrTanuki! You just contemplated the project a few hours ago and you're already this close to wrapping it up...impressive.
Thank you very much! Still a bit of tinkering to go with that last few bits. I would love to be able to print this and then make a mold in a box. Then cast a bunch of different colors and mixed colors. I may just print the shell at the highest quality I can, and then make 3d labels and cast those. Either way, so many options.

It looks like you're already well on your way to designing a shell. Here's my design as promised: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4637193

If you're going to make a mold,why wouldn't you mold an original? not only would it be more accurate but the original shells were molded so they have a drafted shape which makes the much better mold candidates than a 3D Print.

Awesome thanks! Yeah I definitely plan on casting an original. Want to make some more unique style ones via 3d printing to cast also

Look forward to seeing what you come up with. I have a Dolphin Blue OG PCB in repro shell I would swap out for something interesting like you’re working on :)

Oh man a custom dolphin blue one would be a lot of fun. The whole reason I even started this was I picked up a Metal Slug 6 Bloodhack pcb by brizzo from davesarcades. Bare PCB so I really wanted to make a blank OEM style shell in black or grey and then do a 3d designed label for the top that was cast grey with red blood splatter in it.

Little Update- Printed rev2 last night and now I have managed to only be off on 2 bottom holes by about .25mm, how I am managing to skew these dimensions each time is beyond me. But lads we will get there.

Attachments

• depositphotos_262423582-stock-photo-young-male-worker-cross-eyed.jpg
    depositphotos_262423582-stock-photo-young-male-worker-cross-eyed.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 148
So I have been messing with my design and getting it all dialed. Finally got a moment to print your design @twistedsymphony, man that thing is beautiful to say the least. So much better than what I had come up with so far. You even have the locating pins coming up. Very nice work and I greatly appreciate you sharing this design with the rest of us. The only bit of it that is off is the two rectangular keyed sections on the outsides of the cart. I will take a pic to show you. If you flip the cart the other way it will fit in there your keys line up perfect, but then the 2 tab sections are on the wrong side. Looks like they just got put on the wrong sides or flipped. Super easy fix though. Again, awesome work. The fact that you never test printed this and everything else is literally spot on is awesome.

Last edited:
The only bit of it that is off is the two rectangular keyed sections on the outsides of the cart. I will take a pic to show you. If you flip the cart the other way it will fit in there your keys line up perfect, but then the 2 tab sections are on the wrong side. Looks like they just got put on the wrong sides or flipped. Super easy fix though
oof. sorry about that
I've got an updated version here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4640761

thingiverse was being werid so I ended up deleting and recreating the listing.

Reactions: nem
you fixed that quick! Much appreciated. For some reason that new link is coming up with a 404. In the meantime I made a quick label for metal slug 6 just as a proof of concept. If took some more time I may be able to get the tank coming out of it at like a 3/4 3d view.

Attachments

• label.jpg
    label.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 176
wow... WTF thingiverse...

since that's apparently being a giant turd I've attached the file here.
I made a quick label for metal slug 6 just as a proof of concept.
I wasn't sure what you meant by "3D Labels" when you first posted about it, but that's very cool :D

Attachments

• atomiswave_cart_housing.zip
    832.3 KB · Views: 184
Awesome thank you! Much appreciated. I really wanna put fake rivets and make the whole cart look real metal sluggy. Having a viable 3d printed option is much nicer than buying a bunch of neowave and horse racing carts haha

Back