What's new
humidity has never really been an issue for me with PLA.
Yeah, it's hard for me to tell how much of this is humidity and how much is just, you know, My First Printer What Does This Button Do.

I mainly wanted the AMS for different materials. The idea of multi-colour printing, with all the waste, doesn't really appeal to me. And so, it'd likely have PETG on the reels. =/

Yeah, it's hard for me to tell how much of this is humidity and how much is just, you know, My First Printer What Does This Button Do.

I mainly wanted the AMS for different materials. The idea of multi-colour printing, with all the waste, doesn't really appeal to me. And so, it'd likely have PETG on the reels. =/
I’d expect you to still need an external dryer for PETG even if using an enclosed AMS tbh.

Printing PETG kindof sucks

Printing PETG kindof sucks
My thinking was, keep a lot of desiccant in there, and it should last a long ass time. Keep a dryer handy for when it's needed.

And yeah, it does. I've had to fiddle a lot with the settings, and boy it really is sensitive about the cleanliness of the build plate. Took me quite a while to work out a system.

PETG sucks. I have a roll of clear PETG I’ll probably use for some things still, but it’s hard to imagine printing much else with it now.

That said, I would not print ABS without ventilation. So if you have your printer in a place where setting up exhaust isn’t practical it might not be ideal.

For short prints it’s not as big a deal, but when I do long ABS prints I noticed how bad the garage got. Luckily I’d already built exhaust for my paint booth and resin printer and just needed to make another junction and blast gate for the X1C.

I'm well aware that most issues are addressable. It's death by a thousand cuts for me in terms of the myriad of things that I don't like, and that's on top of the fact that while I use the X1C fairly often in my firm, I don't actually own it, so I'm reluctant to do or buy things for it in the same way as if it were my own.
You are at least updating the firmware, right? The newer one did quiet it down some.

Anyways, sorry your experience has been irritating, but you’re basically listing a lot of stuff that is all solvable and you just don’t want to. Which is fine, not your printer. But it’s all kind of non issues for me for instance.

I actually like the cool plate, but I also have both smooth and texture PEI. I printed a Y adapter to make running external filament without fussing with the AMS overmuch easier, and print any filament I don’t want in the AMS or don’t feel is a good match from a Sunlu dryer next to the printer.

Honestly now that I’ve adjust to Bambu’s slicer I find it faster to adjust all the settings right there than go through the way Prusa breaks out their tabs even. But you don’t have to use their slicer. I haven’t tried Orca yet myself.

I have Octoprint on my Prusa but never set up a camera. It’s in my office, don’t see the need. But I love being able to remotely check my Bambu from my phone or desktop since it’s in the garage.

I don’t think the X1C is necessarily worth the premium. The P1S is a tremendous value. But I’ve been quite pleased with mine overall.

Yep - I also have a X1c - with 4 of the AMS units - not because I do THAT much multi printing - but because my setup is out in the garage and the AMS units are awesome to keep my filament ready, and in a humidity controlled environment.

Love my bambu!

Matt

Yep - I also have a X1c - with 4 of the AMS units - not because I do THAT much multi printing - but because my setup is out in the garage and the AMS units are awesome to keep my filament ready, and in a humidity controlled environment.
Haha, I totally get it. 4 AMS is pretty baller though.

Not exactly Bambu related, but since a lot of the resident 3D printers are here, I figured I'd show off my daily driver:

It's an (now discontinued) E3D Toolchanger. It's slightly dated, but I've been able to keep most things reasonably current. It's probably time to put something else together, though. It still gets a lot of use because I designed many different toolheads (currently it's just setup with a boilerplate Hemera setup) featuring pellet extruders, Takoto hotends, LGX, orbiters, etc... Basically, I can print whatever I want within the size constraint for sampling purposes before kicking it over to a little print farm. The toolchanging ability also opened a lot of doors for very unique projects, going beyond just multimaterial.

Additionally, it's all fed directly with a closed loop lab oven to keep the filament moisture levels optimal. This makes an enormous difference depending on what materials and types of parts you're printing. The biggest deficit is no enclosure, but that's part of what let's me quickly configure things how I want for prototyping/validating.

I mostly print Nylon with this. Also, ignore the mess - I did zero cleanup before taking a couple pics.

Next to it is a pellet extruder on a Railcore frame. This is part of a larger commercial project, but work on it ebbs and flows. This thing is just awesome to use, but can be rather finnicky.

IMG20240130111221.jpg
5mb1bt51i3b81.jpg

IMG20240130110957.jpg

Not exactly Bambu related, but since a lot of the resident 3D printers are here, I figured I'd show off my daily driver:

It's an (now discontinued) E3D Toolchanger. It's slightly dated, but I've been able to keep most things reasonably current. It's probably time to put something else together, though. It still gets a lot of use because I designed many different toolheads (currently it's just setup with a boilerplate Hemera setup) featuring pellet extruders, Takoto hotends, LGX, orbiters, etc... Basically, I can print whatever I want within the size constraint for sampling purposes before kicking it over to a little print farm. The toolchanging ability also opened a lot of doors for very unique projects, going beyond just multimaterial.

Additionally, it's all fed directly with a closed loop lab oven to keep the filament moisture levels optimal. This makes an enormous difference depending on what materials and types of parts you're printing. The biggest deficit is no enclosure, but that's part of what let's me quickly configure things how I want for prototyping/validating.

I mostly print Nylon with this. Also, ignore the mess - I did zero cleanup before taking a couple pics.

Next to it is a pellet extruder on a Railcore frame. This is part of a larger commercial project, but work on it ebbs and flows. This thing is just awesome to use, but can be rather finnicky.
I feel like I need to do homework just to understand exactly what cool toys you have there, it looks like a lot of fun!

My current obsession is making full scale Star Wars helmets/masks. I need to document them properly after I finish more, but here's my mostly-done Armorer helmet. This was the last major thing I printed with my Prusa Mk3, being able to do do these in ABS and resin now is giving me a lot more options.

IMG_3780.jpg

Edit: actually I take that back, I forgot I redid the horns in resin, so this is all PLA except for the horns.

@plasticfactory straight up gave me a brand new AMS unit to pair with my P1P and wouldn't accept anything in return - I'm simply blown away by his generosity! Thank you soo much, dude! What an amazing community we have here.

First up now that I've got it configured is to print the top mounting brackets for it :thumbsup:

T2fsSBA.png

Looking forward to trying some multi colored prints with this setup! Going to start with trying multi colored side pieces to help enclose it more and give it some style, even though it has been printing fine "open air" in my garage with PLA thus far. I haven't tried printing ABS but I gather enclosing the unit is more of a requirement with that material.

I haven't tried printing ABS but I gather enclosing the unit is more of a requirement with that material.
Yes, ABS needs a much more stable, higher temperature surrounding it.

The trick is ABS can warp as it cools. So what you need is not only the higher temps to print it, but those high temps to stay around it, and then let the whole thing cool together all at once to minimize warping issues.

On top of that, melting ABS creates toxic fumes, so you want not only the enclosure but ideally a way exhaust it safely.

I have been messing with 3D printing for about 5 years now and recently I felt I finally outgrew the build plate on my Prusa Mini+ as I keep running into prints that are to big for the bed and decided to upgrade. This is my third printer after starting with a crappy Monoprice one and then upgraded to a Prusa Mini as I wanted something a bit nicer with auto bed-leveling. Well, figured I have been doing this for a few years now, time for a nice printer with an enclosure. Couldn't justify the cost on a Prusa XL with a few print heads so decided to check out the hype on these Bambu printers and splurged on an X1 Carbon. I am blown away on this printer so far, the print quality out of the box on this printer is amazing and the speed is a major upgrade from a bed slinger.

PXL_20240216_125539892.jpg

Very nice. Am also thinking about getting an X1C. Any recommendations for PLA/PETG filaments that work fine with the X1C?

I just went with the Bambu filament as the RFID feature is a really nice creature comfort. Just drop the filament in and the printer knows all it needs to know and adjusts settings accordingly.

The Bambu will handle any filament, but what I like is ordering the Bambu filament from them on the refill spools.

Comes on just a little piece of cardboard roll, complete with the RFID tag (which is convenient but not necessary) and you can easily install it on one of their plastic spools.

Makes me feel better to not generate more waste by having to throw out empty plastic spools, and it's cheaper too.

Bambu will handle any filament. If using AMS, just make sure it fits.
I use add:north filament exclusively, since I live in Sweden, and they're local, very good and have a recycling program for spools.

They also have pre-made config files for Bambu slicer

My Prusa MK3S+ was acting up. Even after replacing all the bearings, plastics and hotend it is still a mess.
Ordered an X1C with AMS a few weeks ago. Has been running almost 24/7. Had a bit of a struggle with PETG but then found a profile online that works great. Super happy with the results and the speed. If I get a second printer it will probably be another X1C :)

Back