What's new

Tom Rages On

Beginner
Reaction score
Currently, I am running a MeanWell RT-125A psu with a Minigun supergun, but I have to crank it to the max to get stable play out of my PCB (Primal Rage). It's been about a year, and I've noticed some degradation over time. It was running the game at 5.3v, and is now closer to 5.1. If voltage drops to about 4.8, things start to get unstable.

At the current rate the PSU is degrading, I have about another year on it. I suppose I could buy a new RT-125A every couple of years, but I'd rather just have something that's going to run for another decade before I have to replace it.

Original arcade cabs ran on switching power supplies, but I am not above suggestions that are gross overkill like a 600w linear PSU or something.

Power requirements as per manual:

-5v @ 1A
12v @ 2A
+5v @ 12A

If you measure from the PSU terminals and compare to the jamma edge on Primal Rage, what kind of voltage drop are you seeing?

The Mean Well QP-150-3A is a popular recommendation for JVS games. It's rated at 15 amps for +5v.

Happ's power supplies seem to be 15-20 amps too.

Are you reading those voltages at the jamma edge?

Like nem said, check for voltage drop, make your power harness is as short as possible, use quality wire and the highest gauge the connectors/pins can use. Check for poor crimps/connections.
Other things to try are recapping the PSU with quality caps, redoing any thermal paste and running a nice fan on it to keep it cool.

That meanwell has a 3year warranty I think so you can try getting it replaced if you think its acting up?

If you want to replace it I would go with dedicated power supplies for each of the voltages/amps required. These can offer greater amp ratings, have adjustable ranges, better efficiency/performance, etc...

Are you reading those voltages at the jamma edge?

Like nem said, check for voltage drop, make your power harness is as short as possible, use quality wire and the highest gauge the connectors/pins can use. Check for poor crimps/connections.
Other things to try are recapping the PSU with quality caps, redoing any thermal paste and running a nice fan on it to keep it cool.

If you want to replace it I would go with dedicated power supplies for each of the voltages/amps required. These can offer greater amp ratings, have adjustable ranges, better efficiency/performance, etc...
According to the spec sheet of the RT-125A, the 5v rail maxes out at 12A, which explains why I have to run it cranked. The maximum recommended load to prevent degradation is 80%, which means at minimum, I need a 15A power supply. The Suzo Happ 130w psu has 15A, which fits that minimum spec.

But dedicated power supplies, you say.... Now that gets the wheels turning. I could keep the RT125A for the 12v rail, and probably the -5v rail, too. Then, grab something way overspec like an LED 5v psu rated for 30A just for the +5v rail and keep it at most 50%. That should do it. Mount both power supplies in an (electrically safe) box together and boom, problem fixed.

Back