What's new

ninjaz0mbie

Student
Reaction score
Hey, I've finally pieced together all of the components I need for a Naomi netboot setup, but I am missing a proper PSU for it. I have a few questions:

1. I know from reading up on it that the Naomi is very picky when it comes to PSUs. Can I get by with a Mean Well RT-125A, or do I really need to hunt down a SUN PSU?

2. I understand the Capcom IO will not output enough wattage to properly power the Naomi so I'll likely need to connect directly to the PSU, but I really like the idea of a cleaner setup through the IO board. I seem to remember someone talking about modding the Capcom IO board to accommodate this, but I don't know where it was. Does anybody have more info on this?

I've been using a EVGA 500W for years on both Naomi 1 and 2 with Mitsu's ATX adapter.

To power I/Os, I wire a jamma harness to the same psu.

This is a good PSU for any PCB? I was using a CORSAIR CX 500 but had some troubles.
I'm wondering the same thing. For the moment I was hoping to have one PSU to plug into my minigun that I can use for both JAMMA boards and the Naomi, but maybe that's not realistic.

ATX power supplies are OK at best, but you really need stable 3.3 voltage to keep things kosher.
The SUN PSU is the genuine article, and will keep your Naomi happy for years to come.
Plus the voltages are adjustable if required.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WORKING-se...886071?hash=item23cb5032b7:g:mMYAAOSweoRd2DL0

Don't mod your Capcom IO. You'll regret it later when you decide to get something else that does JVS, and you fucked it up to only work with the Naomi.
Mind you, there's Dreamcast/Saturn PSUs out there that will work with the Naomi as well to make things more compact.
How stable they are with a NetDimm is at this point "experimental"

Being I spent a ton of time beating my head down with voltages and the Naomi, I just go with Genuine PSUs now, or a proper JVS PSU from something like a Blast City.

Last edited:
I have been running the Meanwell QP-200-3A with my Naomi 2 and netdimm setup for a month or so and have had no issues. I power the Naomi/netdimm and a minigun supergun from this.

It has 3.3v, 5v, 12v and -5v so you can power the Naomi directly and not try to run the 3.3v through your Capcom IO. Also has adjustments for the 3.3v and 5v channels.

+1 on the SUN. When I was getting my Naomi setup together I read on numerous threads that MANY of the problems one can encounter are due to unstable power. Copped the SUN PSU and it's run fine for me for years. Don't skimp when it comes to good POWER.

Last edited:
I also had the Sun when I ran the Naomi externally, as others are saying that's a "real" JVS PSU.

Ok, I’ve got another newbie question then. How can I tell I’m getting the right Sun PSU? I see several “naomi 1&2 power supply” listings on eBay, but they have different model numbers like: MP-22160B, or 01-0671, or 400-5397-01, etc... will any PSU from Sun with a 3.3V output be good or is there something specific I should look for?

Also what is a sane price range to shoot for? These all seem to be a minimum of $70 shipped. Haven’t yet checked KLOV or opened a WTB here..

A good ATX power supply and Mitsu's ATX adapter are the way to go. If you're in the know about PC building you'll know what power supplies to get, if you don't really know what you're doing you'll buy a known lemon and complain about them. The key is to buy the good ones, not cheap bad ones. Unfortunately there's some crappy ones out there that are both expensive AND bad... and thus ATX power supplies in some circles have bad reputations now.

I've run Naomi1 and now Naomi2 netboot setup for the past 2 years from a Corsair TX550M, sometimes for 24+ hours straight, and that PSU isn't even top tier, it's what I had laying around. I've run System 256 on the same setup and some "recommended" arcade PSUs didn't provide enough juice to run properly.

Can I get by with a Mean Well RT-125A, or do I really need to hunt down a SUN PSU?
The RT-125 doesn't output 3.3V, so it's no good for JVS.

Don't mod your Capcom IO. You'll regret it later when you decide to get something else that does JVS, and you fucked it up to only work with the Naomi.
Well, no. You're just modding it by replacing the DC-to-DC converter with a beefier one. There's really no downsides to it.

How can I tell I’m getting the right Sun PSU?
SUN PSU capacitor maps

Some have beefier rails for 5V and 12V. If you're going to use it with a Naomi, it doesn't really matter which one you get. Naomi is very low power.

I have been running the Meanwell QP-200-3A with my Naomi 2 and netdimm setup for a month or so and have had no issues. I power the Naomi/netdimm and a minigun supergun from this.

It has 3.3v, 5v, 12v and -5v so you can power the Naomi directly and not try to run the 3.3v through your Capcom IO. Also has adjustments for the 3.3v and 5v channels.
Could you post a picture of how you set all of this up?

I just bought a minigun supergun and the Meanwell QP-200-3A but I dont know how to you are supposed to setup the power to both the supergun and naomi at the sametime.

Forgive me, I'm VERY new at this.

Naomi is just a Dreamcast with more RAM. I've been using a Dreamcast PSU for 10+ years now with zero issues. It has everything you need, and you can get them damn near for free:

naomi2.JPG

naomi3.JPG

naomi4.JPG

@rancor nice! I didn't know you can run it off a Dreamcast PSU! Do you happen to have the pinout mapping to make this? Do you really only need the 6 pin connector to power the whole Naomi?

@rancor nice! I didn't know you can run it off a Dreamcast PSU! Do you happen to have the pinout mapping to make this? Do you really only need the 6 pin connector to power the whole Naomi?
I don't have the pinout on me (at work right now), but you can find it online. The other power input comes from the Capcom I/O, and its powered by JAMMA.

naomi1.JPG

Pinout is silkscreened right on the PSU in rancor's photo:

naomi3.JPG

As for what PSU to use...............
  • Sun PSU = Instant compatibility + least amount of work
    • Make sure the one you buy has the connectors on it already
  • Dreamcast PSU = Cheapest + Some additional costs for connectors + time spent crimping + already having the requisite tools to do the crimping + spare lengths of 18awg wire
    • People always tend to skip the tooling consideration and their projects never get off the ground because of the added expense
  • Meanwell QP-200-3A (or similar PSU that has -5vdc) = Affords the most flexibility with other arcade boards that require the -5vdc rail
    • But if -5vdc will never be used in your situation, go with one of the above two options
    • Same tooling considerations are needed too
  • Also, there is a NAOMI PSU out there. Looks almost exactly like a Dreamcast PSU (open frame-ish and all)
See where you are at with your skill level, available tools, and situation, then go with one of the choices fits you best. For example, in my situation, I have Sega New Net City and Net City cabs. They come ready to go for a NAOMI netboot setup. But I also need to play JAMMA games on my cabs. Needed the -5vdc rail. I wasn't comfortable with a JVS-to-JAMMA adapter because I wanted to feed JAMMA video to the high-impredence connector on my tri-sync monitor. I fabbed my own JAMMA harness and added in a Negatron to convert +5vdc to -5vdc.

But whatever you do, don't try to put a cheap Chinese regulator on one of the +5vdc rails on a standard switching PSU to knock down to +3.3vdc. It just won't last long and be stable.

Back