What's new

The CEO

Beginner
Reaction score
www.streamable.com/qoeeab
Hello - I currently own 2 Blast Citys with Nanao monitors and one of them is making this buzzing noise when on. Functionally, the cabinet is fine. When I disconnect the small board with Bgain and Rgain the audible pitch of the buzzing changes. When I disconnect the speakers the noise persists so I assume it is not related to the audio. It sounds like it is coming from the area around the tube. I know the some basics working on these cabinets but I am far from experienced. Has anyone encountered this issue before? Any insight or anything that could point me in the right direction would be great!

It's the yoke. It's got some stuff that deteriorated inside that's buzzing. You can test this by pressing down on the yoke and see if the noise changes/disappears. Be safe while messing around back there if you are going to try this.

Yup thats it - I gently touched it with a piece of plastic and the noise completely changed pitch. For reference, I am a tech and rebuild embroidery machines as my job. I do have a mechanical background but nothing involving arcade machines. How would I go about repairing said yoke and is this something I should even attempt?

Nem shared this previously:
https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/nanao-ms-2931-buzz-fixed.10712/post-174121

For me I couldn't find the product Nem shared so I used this one and applied to all wires on yoke. The noise gone for a year initially but now it appears again. I reapplied it but the noise sometimes on sometimes off although it's not as loud as initially.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07B8RY7M6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Before I tried that product, I was trying to replace the yoke with another one but the colors messed up and I couldn't get them right by adjusting the rings so I put the original yoke back.

Allright this should give me a good starting point ill mess around with it over the weekend - thanks guys

It's the yoke. It's got some stuff that deteriorated inside that's buzzing. You can test this by pressing down on the yoke and see if the noise changes/disappears. Be safe while messing around back there if you are going to try this.
This would seem to make sense because the sound has a distinct 60hz sound to it almost. If the yoke is loose or something inside the yoke came loose like the taped on corrective magnets then that could be enough for something to resonate with the horizontal coil and cause a buzzing/humming like that.

If pressing on the plastic housing of the yoke while it runs makes the noise stop you know that its resonating and you will need to find the source of whats loose or re-secure it.

Back